Sign in to follow this  
Guest FelixFFDS

Some Advice

Guest N73GX

I have a problem I hope some of you could help out with some advice.I am in the process of building a Cessna 337 and having problems coming up with a way to make the back wheel housing. So let me try to help make a picture of thisIf you look at the back you will see that it is not a flat panel but a panel that is curved. The closing plate I can create, but it

Hi Jason Don't know if this will help as I have not used FSDS sinceFS2000(I use Max and gmax and both of those do booliean ops) if FSDSnow does boolies you could boolie the two into one if not try to add some vertices to your box so that you have the same number of vertices on your box's edges as the area on your main model. Hope this is of some help. Dan

FSDS doesn't have Boolean stuff.The way I would do it is that I wouldn't make a box at all. Instead, I would use "Add point" to create nodes in between existing points until I had the point exactly where I wanted the corner of the box to be. This way the point will be exactly at the surface of the existing polygon.Once I have all the points where I want them, I select use them to create new polygons. I delete old polygons that I don't need, and remove the "orphaned" points.There are a couple tutorials over at http://daviator.com that deal with landing gear wells and cutting windows and doors out. The same principle applies to what you are tryiing to do here, I think.- Martin

Hi Martin I was not sure it FSDS did booliean ops( I see it does not)and I forgot that FSDS calls vertices "points" so I hope I did not confuse the poor fellow about vertices. It's too bad that one can notjust extrude some edges to create polly's and then just delete the face(s) that would be behind the new surface. But I guess that's why I no longer use FSDS anymore. I do think its a good tool and it does have less of a learning curve than something like gmax but as I use tools such as Maya and 3DS Max in my work every day I am used to the tool set they have for creating objects and I for one could not go back to useing something like FSDS as once you learn how to use theabove tools(like gmax) and see what one can do with 'em our hobby becomes all that more enjoyable. Dan

Guest FelixFFDS

but Dan, you don't understand the pure masochistic pleasure we get of selecting verices and hitting CTRL-A again and again until we get the point exactly where we want it. And the joy of copy/paste; Transform->Flip->Flip x instead of clone (decide instance, etc.,,,) then apply mirror parametric (but first make sure it's editable poly) - or is it use the mirror tool from the menu bar..;)and of course, make a polygon from selected points -... CTL-P and it's done..of course, if I knew gmax, like you know gmax .... it'd be a different story, too.Felix/FFDSPegasus Aviation Design