Sign in to follow this  
Guest Fly1

Gmax - Exterior vs Interior View Errors...

Guest Fly1

Oh the challenges, they never seem to end.Latest problem: Object errors when viewed from interior vs exterior.Background: I am modeling speedbrakes for the Legacy. I am finding that when I export to FS, The brakes look fine from the exterior, but when viewed from the VC there are interferences, poly's projecting where they shouldn't, planes bleeding through. UGGGGGGGGGH !!!!!!Attached are two shots of just the brake elements. They are the same piece, exported with Middleman using the create interior function. When viewed from the exterior lines are clean and shapes where they should be. But the VC view is crap. I have the same problem if I create separate interior and exterior versions then export. I haven't seen this problem on other portions of the plane. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.Thanks in advance!!Bob C.

Guest odog

you got a winner of a problem there. I havent seen this as you are, but i have had similar issues with certain options in MakeMDL and MM.just something to try, till we get to the why. Make sure you have "optimize" and "weld points" unchecked.sometimes they can cause issues "like" this.hmmm. very strange... Ill keep thinking.joe

Guest Fly1

Thanks for the comment Joe. Yes optimize and weldpoints are off. Found out about those a good while back. Nasty little beggers.This was originally a larger object then scaled down. I reset the scale on each piece. Even tried remaking a portion as a new object thinking there may be something wrong with item, but I notice when exported and viewed in FS, the interior view (model)is relocating some points from where there are originally.A little more head scratching going on here.Thanks again!!Bob C.

Guest S_pitts

Try to increase the strip objects Z Buffer value so the Fs render engine will know what to display above whatTo do this create a new material and name it ZBAIS_XmaterialnameWhere the X you can enter any value you like. This is very important if you want to organize your model Z buffer yourself, however if you only want the strips to show just name the material ZBIAS_2strips and apply to the strips, export and check the results. This could either create a new problem of parts showing through parts or solve your problemHope this helps you out

Guest Kobie1244

Bob,To me it looks like that you dont have a slot cut out in the wing...it may be my eyes though. If you didnt....I think that one way to get rid of this problem is to cut out the wing where the speed brakes are located. You can boolean a hole into the wing, and place the speed brakes inside of the hole that was cut out.I hope that i explained this clearly enough.Anyways..... good luck, and I cant wait for your beauty to come out!ThanksKobie :-wave

Guest Fly1

Hey Kobie,One of the main things I am trying to stay away from is actually cutting the wing. Always tends to detract from the smoothness of the surrounding area of a surface. As per the actual unit, the brake is an assembly attached to the wing by the top plate. In this case the top surface of the assembly plate is located just above the wing skin. The intent was to simulate a void by using a black colored plane located just above the brake assembly top plate. In the closed position the edge of the brake blade is just visible, as should be. When deployed there would be the effect of an opening to which the brake traversed. Works great on the exterior model. In the second test shot I did cut a hole in the top plate and lowered the black plane. That cleared the bleed-thru, but it is still relocating points of blade edge, altering the thickness. As usual, it appears I will need to try a few alternate methods to achieve the best effect.Such is life, in the Gmax world.Thanks for the feedback!!Bob C.PS Might take a little time off to enjoy the "Two Towers"Too Cool!!