Sign in to follow this  

Actually using selected fuel tanks

Hello All,I have noticed a lot of threads about Fuel tanks and fuel selectors, but couldn't find a real solution to letting the selected tank actually be used.The aircraft I'm trying to get right in this respect is the Beech Super G 18 (fs2k2) that comes with two sets of Main, Aux and Tip tanks, a left and a right set.I have created a left and right five positiont fuel selector Xml gauge with the settings Off, All, Main, Aux and Tip. Visually these gauges work as expected, however it seems that in contrast to my expectations the engine keeps drawing fuel from the Aux and then Main tank in any gauge position. Except for the Off one, then the engine dies as expected. Additionally the Tip tanks seem to be ommitted always even in the All position, e.g. if the Main and Aux tanks are exhausted no matter how full these Tips are the engine stops...I was wondering, am I missing something here. I noticed the a_flags RECIP_ENGX_FUEL_NUMBER_TANKS_USED and RECIP_ENGX_FUEL_TANKS_USED but found no obvious way to alter these settings by any event.For the curious a tooltip showed the following respectively for the left selector set using number, Off = 0, 0 All = 2, 144 Main = 1, 16 Aux = 1, 16 Tip = 2, 144This probably should give a clou, but I'm missing it apart from the fact that I understand they all should be different. Any ideas welcome...;-))Greetings from cloudy Amsterdam Janton.

So there still seems to be a problem with the fuel-config, heh? "Mine" aircraft is probably not as advanced as yours in terms of fuel tanks, but here is the "full" fuelsystem from our C421B (never released), these "weird-looking" alterations was needed to get tank usage and crossfeed to operate correctly. This worked perfectly for FS2002, not tested in FS9. The problem goes down to; as long as main tanks are present (with aux tanks?), many things gets _really_ buggy. So the mains was replaced with external 1 and 2; all bugs removed.From the aircraft.cfg://Note: This 'strange' fuel system is a result of a MS 'bug' that allows all tanks to be utilized before the mains when mains are selected. The use of external tanks allows them to go dry if fuelsystem is mishandled. Sorry, but this was the closest thing I could get. The fuel in 'tiptanks' (the wing locker tanks) are not available directly, and has to be transferred manually.LeftAux=0, -11.720, 0.000, 48.4, 0.4 //Aux tank, located in wingRightAux=0, 11.720, 0.000, 48.4, 0.4 //Aux tank, located in wingExternal1=0, -19.120, 0.000, 51.3, 1.3 //Main tank, located in wingtipExternal2=0, 19.120, 0.000, 51.3, 1.3 //Main tank, located in wingtipLeftTip=0, -8.300, 0.000, 27.5, 1.0 //Wing locker tank, located at engineRightTip=0, 8.300, 0.000, 27.5, 1.0 //Wing locker tank, located at enginefuel_type=1 //Fuel type: 1 = Avgas, 2 = JetAnumber_of_tank_selectors=2---The graphic elements from the selector gauge. Note that one tank cannot be selected, it has to be transferred manually via the fuel menu. If you add it, it will work though. Crossfeeding from aux tanks also not possible, but will work if added. Here goes:(A:Fuel tank selector 1,enum) sp0 l0 0(*Off*) == if{ 0 quit } l0 1(*All*) == if{ 9 (*ForceLMain External1*) (>K:FUEL_SELECTOR_SET) 1 quit } l0 9(*LMain*) == if{ 1 quit } l0 4(*LAux*) == if{ 2 quit } 3(A:Fuel tank selector 2,enum) sp0 l0 0(*Off*) == if{ 0 quit } l0 1(*All*) == if{ 10 (*ForceRMain External2*) (>K:FUEL_SELECTOR_2_SET) 1 quit } l0 10(*RMain External2*) == if{ 1 quit } l0 5(*RAux*) == if{ 2 quit } 3---And finally, the mouse events. Edited to remove some stuff that you don't need, hopefully not too buggy :) There is one clickspot for each selector position. Here goes:0 (>K:FUEL_SELECTOR_SET)Left Tank Selector Off9 (>K:FUEL_SELECTOR_SET)Left Tank Selector Left Main4 (>K:FUEL_SELECTOR_SET)Left Tank Selector Left Aux10 (>K:FUEL_SELECTOR_SET)Left Tank Selector Right Main Crossfeed0 (>K:FUEL_SELECTOR_2_SET)Right Tank Selector Off10 (>K:FUEL_SELECTOR_2_SET)Right Tank Selector Right Main5 (>K:FUEL_SELECTOR_2_SET)Right Tank Selector Right Aux9 (>K:FUEL_SELECTOR_2_SET)Right Tank Selector Left Main Crossfeed---Hope this is of any use. (heh, nothing to do at work just now :D)

Hello Karl,First thanks for the code snippet, I'll go and study it this weekend. Your mentioning of trouble ahead when using main tanks is interesting, I wonder if that would solve the problems I'm having too...As for the complexity of the tank arrangement in the Beech Super G18, maybe my description made it sound more difficult than it really is. I'm obviously not a real flyer, so perhaps my assumption that switching from one tank to another should also mean the fuel flow is coming only from that selected tank isn't like that in real life...Oh well, more things to look into, thanks again...;-))Greetings from cloudy Amsterdam, Janton

Hello Karl,Just a little update. I had less time this weekend as I expected, so I went for the intermediate solution to change the Tip tanks to External1 and 2.(not the Main ones) So their contents can at least be used. I think I'll revert back to the original four position fuel selector switch of the Beech G18 and leave out the main tank position and keeping only the Tip, Aux All and Off choices. In this way I actually make use of the Main tank bug, I hope...I still have to test in flight if I shall use the fuel selector enum for All or Main for the All position though...;-))Greetings from scattered Amsterdam, Janton.