Sign in to follow this  
Guest jlwoodward

FSDS order of parts

Guest jlwoodward

In FSDS2 you had to move windows and props to the end of the parts list. However, with the 2.24 upgrade it does not seem to matter where they are located. Is this really true, or am I just heading for a problem?Thanks,John Woodward

Guest Dee Waldron

When you go to compile your model, be sure to uncheck the Auto-sort box. It should then work, if your transparent parts are truely at the end of your build order. Hope that helps. :)Dee Waldron (HJG)

Guest jlwoodward

I forgot about unchecking the box.Strange thing though, with the latest FSDS2 and FS2004, everything seems to show up ok behind the prop and windows, even with the transparent parts down in the list. I wonder if they fixed something?I will probably move the parts to the end anyway. However, cut and paste does not work like it did before. It just puts the parts back where they were instead of at the end.John Woodward

Guest Dee Waldron

John, you can also create a parts-file-merge-list (look in the Parts menu, about the 3rd selection down from the top) to create a text file of all your model parts in their current build order. You can open that file up in any text editor and edit the order of the parts. Then you can start FSDS2 again and select File/Merge and select the text file. FSDS will build the model now according to your file and in the order you specified. Hope that helps. :)I use that system a lot for all the DC-8 model variations, building out of a library of parts I've made up. Saves me goubes and goubes of time! ;DDee Waldron (HJG)

Guest FelixFFDS

But Dee doesn't want to tell you about the time a DC-8 ended up with a 707 Tail fin and Convair 990 nose....Inspector Poly

Guest Dee Waldron

What was that thing anyhow? .... :-lolDee Waldron (HJG)

Guest jlwoodward

This is wierd- I made the parts list and rearranged the parts with windows and props last. I checked the file to make sure it saved ok. Then I started FSDS2 and merged in the txt file. The whole plane came in ok, but when I checked the parts list where you can select parts, they were all scattered again. I exited and checked the parts list file again and it was still ok. Can't figure this one out.John Woodward

Guest FelixFFDS

Remember the parts list you bring up with the F3 key lists the parts in alphabetical order.The actual "parts order" is given by the number in brackets for example I have a part:212ffiring.7_mirror [104] that shows up as the first part in the F3 selection dialog, but it's number 104 in the parts list order.Felix/FFDSPegasus Aviation Design

Guest jlwoodward

Felix,Thanks- I guess I forgot all that after not using it for a while. I must be going blind too.John Woodward