Sign in to follow this  
Great Ozzie

First Solo....

Congratulations!Nerve wracking but GREAT experience, isn't it! That first push of the throttle, the JUMP of the airplane without someone next to you, and the stark silence coming from the right seat......and the big fat smile on your face through it all!(Man - I really have to get back into my training...)

That's so funny how you described it....almost exactly my own feelings!People keep asking me 'Were you nervous?' My reply 'Only as I was opening the throttle. After that I didn't have time to be nervous. It all happens so fast without the weight of the instructor'Glenn

Guest CRJ700FO

Congratulations! You will remember that day for the rest of your life. 4500+ flight hours later and I still remember my first solo.

Guest bstolle

Same here after 12000+ hrs. I was really scared as I knew there would be nobody to take over. But as soon as the little Aerobat accelerated down the sloped grass runway it was one GREAT moment, I knew I could do it and I still can feel, hear and even smell this event.BTW, it NEVER occured to me during that time, that I might become a long range pilot flying routinely with a heavy into JFK ;)Best Regards and all the very best for your future(and for the beginning, keep the blue side up :))Bernt Capt 767

Interesting -(me 1000 hours now)-I remember all the blood draining out of my face when the instructor said take it around on your own (I flew a 150-nice to know there are still a few around). Fear took place to busy for the 3 solo circuits- I remember being terribly exhausted but elated afterwords. Congratulations on one of the great moments of life!http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/1b5baf...b9f427f694g.jpgMy blog:http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

That is an amazing experience, the solo.JimCYWG

Congratulations Glenn! Excellent to hear that!Btw I hope your instructor tore the tail off the t-shirt you wore and wrote the solo date on the shirt!Oh... and remember to keep the ball centered in that bugger when doing power-on stalls!Rob O.

Guest CRJ700FO

>become a long range pilot flying routinely with a heavy into>JFK ;)I am sorry you have to fly into JFK....:)

Rob,Thanks,Thats good advice....the first time I did a power on stall it got away from me and we ended up in an spin. The instructor had to take over as I was suddenly completely disorientated.I'll never let that happen again!Glenn

Guest fullstoplanding

Hi Glenn,A hearty congratulation. I soloed a side-by-side Taylorcraft (BCD, I think) in the mid 50s at Nedrow Airpark (greater Syracuse, NY). My instructor was Frank Porter. Of all the instructors and people who have checked me out in various airplanes thru the years, he was one of the best...especially as a person. If I remember right, he had flown with the RCAF. Although there are thousands upon thousands of pilots, you now belong to an exclusive club.Good luck!:-beerchug--Roger

Thanks for all the kind words guys.A long way to go yet, but much closer than I was before!!Glenn

It is alot of work Glenn... a heck of a lot of work... On top of the stick and rudder stuff there is so much stuff a student needs to have packed into their head... it can be overwhelming and downright terrifying at times...For me, no amount of being overwhelmed or terrified could ever suppress my passion for flight. My love for flying always provoked me to continue gaining knowledge and experience which always sounded the death-knell for such obstacles.Man, you are right... you have taken a significant step. You are in an envious position. As one who is just a wee bit further along, I will attest that, out of the tens of thousands of dollars I have spent on my flight education (lol... don't let that scare you either), I don't regret spending one penny. In fact just the opposite: how fortunate I am that I was able to experience the wonder of flight.Rob O.

Guest christianholmes

Congrats Glenn... I am about a year ahead of you, having soloed last December and getting my PPL in Sept. My first solo was insane- my heart was beating so fast I was more worried about having a heart attack than screwing anything up.Now, the real challenge begins- you have a lot of little milestones left as the most prominent one is out of the way. You should continue to solo and work on your maneuvers as you will need to have those down for the checkride- you will be so nervous that you want everything to be second nature.Next you'll probably do your dual cross-country. You still have your "hood time" to get out of the way, as well as your night requirements- which is all fun, but kind of tedious at the same time. Don't get discouraged... A lot of students quit after they solo because the momentum drops- it is up to you to push ahead. Get your written out of the way if you haven't already. You should be looking forward to your first solo x-country- that was really fun, and equally as scary as the solo since you're well out of radio range with your instructor.Oh, and make sure to have your instructor sign you off to solo to another airport so you can get used to flying yourself somewhere else and entering the pattern and using radios on your own. That will make your x-country less stressful and besides that it's fun since you will get a little taste of what it's like to actually get your license.I used the test prep software by Dauntless for my written and got a 98%- I'm guessing the Canadian exam is different, but I don't know.

Christian,Thanks for the words of encouragement. I have built up 3 hours of solo time now since I last posted. I want to get the PPL out of the way ASAP so I can start on the Commercial!Glenn