Sign in to follow this  
Guest LilSki

Chrome Reflective Textures at Night

Guest Fly1

Howdy Guys,I was wondering if one of you kind souls might clue me in in what I need to do regarding appling textures to an item that during the day has a nice reflective texture, but when viewed at night is only showing the base texture. The main item I am having probelms with is my nice chrome spinner. Do I need to apply a night texture in Gmax?Thanks in advance!Bob C.Oh - Here's the Legacy in FS2004. Still playing with the textures.

Guest Milton

Bob,Only speculation here, but to my knowledge, reflections only happen with a source light (daytime/sun). When the sun goes down, or low sun, reflections go away, i.e. the reflective channel no longer works, and the lightmap channel kicks in. The _L bmp adds light to the base color and if other than black base for chrome, you will see a light gray.Milton

Guest Fly1

Thanks Roman, Should be a matter of days now. Still tinkering with the last little details. Regarding the texture issue, it appears that during evening hours, the alpha channel is switched off any time the light switch "L" is activated. If the light switch is not on, alpha works therefore chrome as well as reflective textures appear as usual. FS2002 and 2004 share this symptom. I have noticed Shigeru Tanaka is able to get reflective as well as chrome textures in FS9 without using _t files. Hmmmm ... Boy it's tough when you

Guest LilSki

OK. It seems to me it is a misconception. You do NOT have to have "Has light map" enabled when u extract the model.all you need is Has reflective map. Some people think that in order for say VC gauge backlighting to work you need to have "has light map" on this is NOT true. Here is my proof attached are shots of my Bellanca Decathlon. The first shot shows the shiny spinner. The 2nd shot shows the cockpit which has Gauge backligting on shown by the _L map. The VC gauge lights work also. This elimintaes the need for an _L texture for shiny parts, since we all know with "has light map" on shiny textures at night or dawn turn transparent without an _L texture. I repeat DO NOT use "has light map" it is not needed nor is an _L texture unless you want night lighting liek gauge backlighting. :)Kevin