Sign in to follow this  

Importing mld files created in gmax back into gmax???

Guest xoio

Hi all,I understand when using Gmax, you have to apparently use a tool called makemdl.exe to convert the plane into the .mdl file for the sim to use. However makemdl.exe can't seem to reverse the process? & I cannot find any way to 'import' mdl files in Gmax. Does anyone know if a tool/program exists that CAN reverse the process to allow you to edit already existing aircraft, that were CREATED originally in GMAX? (I've found one that can convert mdl files from planes built in FS Design Studio, into Gmax. But not from Gmax back into Gmax?)I am flying a plane that I would like to get back into Gmax as a basis to work on & change it's shape to my suiting. (Basically it needs it's appearance changing to match the performance i've created. -It is a concept plane, before you ask! :-) )I am a complete Gmax novice, so starting from scratch is too great-a-task at the moment, I'd rather import a plane & learn by changing it.NOTE: It is NOT my intention to rip off someone else's model, - Any aircraft hybrid i create will be for my own private use. And if i ever do release it, i will ensure it bares little or no similarity to the original.Hope someone can help...Al

Guest S_pitts

It can't be done with makemdlat the moment unless you can code your own program to read the RIFF MDL format you wont be able to import aircraft back into gMax also even if you could you would lose all the animation data stored in the MDL

Guest odog

What type of plane are you looking for as a base model. I have a hundred or so models that you are welcome to play around with.just let me know, if i have one similar to what you need i'll email the source to you.joe

Guest xoio

Hi Joe,Thanks for the reply.The aircraft that I've been specifically working with is:Krzysztof Malinowski's : TU-144(NOT to be confused with Samdims version.)I personally think it's a better looking plane than Concorde. (This can be debated another time :-) )So if you have a model that is just as sleek, big & animated as the TU-144, I'll definately be interested.If Krzysztof, reads this, I'll certainly repect your creative work & no plagerise it as my own. It will only become my own creation, when it ceases to resemble your model.RegardsAlP.S. Anyone else with any ideas on a conversion tool to import models created in Gmax, back into Gmax??

Guest A386

Checklist:ACM 2.1 http://www.aircraftmanager.comMDL2DXF 4.01 http://hem.passagen.se/henry.veppling/mdl/mdl2dxf4.htmBoth not with GMax export *at this moment* but this might change in some months. However, these are the only tools I know of that target in that direction.I think it's just a matter of time.What you want does already work with FSDS 1.0 MDL files.But you'll loose all animations etc ...