Sign in to follow this  

FS9 trim

Guest azflyboy

Hello,I have been playing with the aircraft.cfg's for several of the older aircraft in FS9. I ahve been trying to add trim to the Jenny and Vimy (virtual co pilot). I have looked in the .cfg files for both aircraft and, according to them, the aircraft have trim already, The lines for Trim_efectiveness are all the same for aircraft with and without trim and i cannot find any lines that would addremove trim. Does anyone here know what lines to modify in the aircraft.cfgs to add trim?Thanks,David Swindle

I am unclear whether you want to make these aircraft more realistic, or just make them fly like a Cessna. To fix the default flight dynamics properly you will need to alter many values in the air file using an air file editor. Unfortunately there are too many errors in the default dynamics for it to be worth while anyone who is not a flight dynamics author trying. My first suggestion is therefore that you sideline these aircraft unless an FDE author produces replacements and makes them available as freeware. If you just want them to fly like modern aircraft you are tackling the

Guest azflyboy

Thanks for the reply Fsaviator. What i was asking was simply how do i add trim to the Vimy and Jenny. I don't want them to fly like a cessna, I just want trim so that i can make up for the awful stability issues MS gave the aircraft (and on the Vimy, simulate have a co pilot to help with the controls).While i appreicate your post, I have absolutley NO idea how to mess with the .air files and most of the variables you gave were greek to me.

I have been following of & on the info on the flight dynamics provided/produced by MS in FS2004. I find it most disturbing that a flight simulation that was nicely progressing has taken a step backwards. Perhaps Microsoft will offer some explanation as to the known, and yet to be known, oddities. Please note that I am not qualified to fly an aircraft nor am I qualified to design one. I am just one of the many who are buying products in an attempt to get to a "reasonable" level of realisim.Now, you last comment about some aircraft out there that may work well in FS2004. My interest is in propopreller driven craft. The K3 Cub and the low-end Cessna line are interesting. I have a copy of Bill Lyons Swift as well which I find "enjoyable". My point is that I (and probably many others) muat rely on knowledgeable experts in the field of flight dynamics. Thus far what I have read is not encouraging (FS2004).Can you recommend some aircraft that arrive at a reasonably close approximation of reality that fit into the category of the J3, low-end Cessna, DC3, or others such as the Swift? Otherwise, it seems foolosh to believe that we are simulating flight when all we are doing is moving a set of textures over another set of textures under the control of a faulty set of dynamics. I feel somewhat foolish using stuff that regresses further from reality!Dick KLBE

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

Guest Douglas K

>Does anyone here know what lines to modify in the aircraft.cfgs to add trim?:D

>>However in real life neither the Vimy, nor the Jenny had pilot>controlled trim. Both were trimmed using secondary effect of>power. Unfortunately as you know their default flight>dynamics are so badly broken that they just crash if you take>your hands off the stick at cruise power and mid cruise>weight, even with CG in the centre of the normal flight range.>Microsoft have also made a mess of the J3 Cub dynamics. To>cover this up they have added pilot controlled trim which the>real aircraft lacked. Not to discuss the Cub's flight dynamics which I "really" don't like on the "ground", I do take exception to the pilot controlled trim. The Cub used a pilot controlled adjustable horizontal stabilizer, such as modern commercial jets, a few old Cessna's, and what-ever else that use them.L.Adamson

Guest azflyboy

THANKS! I had looked through the aircraft .cfg's and i guess i failed to see that line(oops)

Thank you to L Adamson for pointing out my mistake. The Cub does indeed have a variable incidence tailplane which can be adjusted in flight to vary longitudinal trim. In response to Dick at KLBE and anyone else trying to understand the update process I would say that the situation is complex. Microsoft seem to have gone through the program removing from the run time equations all the variables which they never bother to use. Other air file variables have been turned into hard coded constants and hidden within the inner workings of the sim. A few have migrated to the aircraft.cfg. There are outstanding bugs, new bugs and bug fixes which we now have to rewrite our FS2002 code around. This makes updating FS2002 flight dynamics to FS2004 compatibility more difficult and time consuming than it could have been, and apart from the bug fixes adds nothing.So far as new build aircraft are concerned the result is that some things which could be done from within the air file now have to be done within the gauge code. In some cases the workload has just shifted from one part of the production process to another causing delays. Only a fraction of the freeware aircraft made for use in FS2002 will ever be converted to work properly in FS2004, but the ones that were most worth downloading probably will, and high quality aircraft made from the outset for FS2004 will appear before Christmas.The default aircraft flight dynamics have never been very realistic, nor have they been dumbed down in a planned way to make them 'docile' so that they can be easily managed by non pilots. They just have a variety of errors. The vintage aircraft being the newest arrivals have the most uncorrected errors. The FS2004 flight model continues to offer the 'reasonable level of realism' you desire. It is capable of