Sign in to follow this  
Guest Fabio Miguez

Slightly OT: C or C++?

Guest Timbo

I'm looking to broaden my programming horizons and go into C or C++. I currently have experience in Quick Basic, Visual Basic, HTML, Java, and JavaScript with VB, HTML, and JavaScript being my strongest, but my Java knowledge is growing. I've done a bit in both procedural and object-oriented programming. My question is, in general and in terms of the current programming industry, is it worth learning C anymore or is it more beneficial to go straight to C++? Will not learning C hinder my C++ or will learning C be a waste of time?Thanks[table][tr][td]http://timbo87.home.comcast.net/sig/vulc.jpg[/td][/tr][tr][td]

[/td][/tr][/table

Guest grb

Timbo,C++ is just a pile of new features for c. Nothing you learn in Cwould hinder the way you write code in C++. That is why most compilers recognize both C and C++ code. Just for instance, if you wanted to write "hello world" in a DOS Window.....you would coulduse the following whether you where going to compile the source as C++or C source:printf("Hello world");There would be no reason while writing C++ code to use any other typeprint statement other then the one Dennis Rictchie created some thirty years ago. Much of the code you will see in C++ source filesis identical to what you would see in a C source file. All the libraries of functions etc., from the original C packages are standard with what you get with C++. Hope the above makes some sense to you.cheers,George

Guest grb

Your quite welcome. I hope you enjoy learning how to program in C.cheers

Guest Fabio Miguez

Hey Tim,Just as a complement, C++ is good when you are programming more complex gauges, say an FMS or the entire panel of an aircraft to minute detail, such as hydraulic, pneumatic and electrical systems.C++ offers the advantage of objects, which if well used can save you loads of time and code size.