Sign in to follow this  
Guest Steven007

FS2002 Panel & Gauge SDK makefile refuses to work

Guest Steven007

Hi all,I tried to compile the SDK.gau from the sample files included in the FS2002 Panel&Gauges SDK with the makefile. My compiler is the Borland 5.5 free command line compiler (used the make command). The makefile had 2 commands that Windows doesn't accept as a command, namely 'cl' and 'rc'. I changed them into 'bcc32', respectively "brcc32'. Is this correct? Maybe the brcc32 should be 'brc32'? I also got a lot of 'WARNING's from the compiler :-(, and 1 error about the SDK.rc file: a wrong declaration at line 47 (if I remember correctly:-)). As I don't know anything about rc files, can someone help me out please?I did succeed in correcting the first error the compiler threw out. In SDK.Flightmap.c, in method ScalePoint(...), there was a wrong initilisation:POINT result = { lX, lY};I changed this in:POINT result;result.x = lX;result.y = lY;although I couldn't find a struct POINT somewhere in SDK.Flightmap.c, math.h nor in GPS_INFO.h :-(. (And than magic occured:-))So, can anyone help me with the SDK.rc error?Thanks,Steven

Guest bartels

Go to floightsim.com nd download sd2gau14.zip. Apart from getting THE unofficial tutorial for gauge compiling, it includes a gauges.h which is compatible to BCC,GCC and VC++, also BCC and GCC compatible makefiles can be found in this package.Arne BartelsP.S. POINT is a standard windows-type and declared somwhere in the deep of standard includes (windows.h or winnt.h or basetsd.h, I haven't checked).

Guest Steven007

OKay, I'll download the sd2gau14.zip. I still wonder how I came up with the result.x = lX and result.y = lY solution :-).Thanks Arne,Steven

Guest bartels

Your solution is more or less the most logic and simple one. The official SDK code is simply non-standard (or wrong) at this point. Arne Bartels

Guest Steven007

Okay, I got the SDK.gau now :-). The flightmap-subgauge is intriguing me now. What does it actually do? It only displays a loaded flightplan, but when I click it, there comes (I think) a new dot: is this a waypoint that is added? It would be quite neat if this is true :-D.Thanks,Steven

Guest bartels

It shows the "new" possibilties with GDI drawn gauges (new in FS2002), and secondly offers an interface to read and manipulate flightplans in a limited way. If I recall that right the gps_export.dll which was part of the Fs2002 SDK is now a standard DLL in FS9 and should therefore allow the same possibilties in FS9. Arne Bartels

Guest Steven007

The GDi gives the possibility to draw 1 pixel wide lines then? I remember from a long time ago, FS98 days, that the lines were really thick :-(. The reason that I couldn't see what the Flightmap served for, was that I couldn't zoom out :-S. When I clicked I saw 'nodes' on the display...Thanks for the reply,StevenStruggling through SDKs and tutorialsNow 10 km north of EBBR

Guest Fabio Miguez

Hello Steven,Nice to meet you, I am Fabio Miguez.GDI stands for Graphics Device Interface. It is one of the graphical APIs in Windows. More information at http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dn...or/html/gdi.asp A quote from that link says "The Microsoft Windows graphics device interface (GDI) enables applications to use graphics and formatted text on both the video display and the printer. Windows-based applications do not access the graphics hardware directly. Instead, GDI interacts with device drivers on behalf of applications.". It works on any WIndows-based application, uncluding, as you have seen, FS.GDI allows you to draw vectors, which is a big plus when doing EFIS-style (glass cockpit) gauges.No, GDI can draw really thin lines, actually you were right on when you side it can draw down to a one-pixel wide line.What a lot of developers are using now is the next version of GDI, called GDI+. It does pretty much everything GDI did, plus it includes alpha channels (you can make a line or shape be semi-transparent) and anti-aliasing (for subpixel drawing, meaning getting somewhat rid of the "jaggies" in an angled line), among other goodies. A lot different opinions out there, but according to my personal tests GDI+ runs faster than GDI, even while anti-aliasing. Regardless, GDI+ runs at good speeds, and looks a whole lot better when antialiasing. I am attaching a shot of a gauge we are working on, so you can see what is possible. This is a shot from within FS.More information on GDI+ here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/gd...lus/GDIPlus.aspNotice GDI+ requires a different setup than GDI to work in FS. You can download an example file on it by Fred Clausen here at avsim, under http://library.avsim.net/sendfile.php?DLID=30647Hope this helps.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/38107.jpg

Guest Steven007

Hi Fabionice to meet you too :-)! That shot looks really really good! Is it something like the next generation avionics suite of Honeywell (forgot the name)? Or the suite that will be used in the Falcon 7X? It is really interesting to see such gauges :-)Thanks for the links,Steven

Nope, it's from the AviDyne Entegra PFD which is used on Cirrus aircrafts. The shot above is a bit outdated, yet showing GDI+'s smoother drawing than GDI.

Guest Steven007

Still, it looks nice he?Greetings,,Steven17 km SE of EBBR