Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ron Freimuth

Reducing torque effect

Guest jlwoodward

I am building up my Beaver floatplane mostly be reworking my Renegade cfg file, which was originally a C182 from FS2002. When I increased engine power from 250 hp to 450 hp, I ended up with a wicked torque effect (I think!). The airplane is ok on takeoff run, but as soon as it breaks ground it goes into a roll to the left. This did not occur with the Renegade.What I would like to know is if there is a line in the air file where I can go in and reduce the torque effect? I have AirEd.Thanks,John Woodward

Guest Milton

Just speculating here John, but you could look at the alpha table 456 and table 1101 cl_p for roll damping.Milton

Guest Ron Freimuth

>I am building up my Beaver floatplane mostly be reworking my>Renegade cfg file, which was originally a C182 from FS2002.>When I increased engine power from 250 hp to 450 hp, I ended>up with a wicked torque effect (I think!). The airplane is ok>on takeoff run, but as soon as it breaks ground it goes into a>roll to the left. This did not occur with the Renegade. FS2K2 has no torque effects. However, the 'P-Factor' actually sets a prop helix effect. It is either no effect (slider to all the way to the left) or full effect (slider greater than 0). Many AC have the engine set at an angle to minimize this. We can't set the thrust angle in FS2K+ but can move the engine to the left of center. I've found setting it to about -0.3 ft lateral distance takes out most of the roll/yaw to the left, and one doesn't have to trim the rudder with power changes.>What I would like to know is if there is a line in the air>file where I can go in and reduce the torque effect? I have>AirEd.>John Woodward More recent versions of Aired.ini show a new "Propwash Related" ID near the top of REC 1101. I don't know what it does and don't think it has any effect in FS2K. Apparently it does in CFS2, (some CSF AIR files have it set to a value); CFS2 has more prop effects working. Also, 1530 is a single parameter which sets torque effects in CFS2 and perhaps FS2K, but not in FS2K2. 1.0 it typical, I set it to 4.0 in a B-17 and that sets a good engine torque effect which makes control at low speeds more difficult near stall. It becomes neglible at higher speeds compared to aerodynamic forces. '1530' is in a C182S AIR file. Just try moving the engine a few inches to the left. Be sure some 'P-Factor' is set. I think this will give you a fairly good compensation for throttle changes. Ron