Sign in to follow this  
Guest Albatross7107

Historical info on smaller jets.

Guest Albatross7107

Not too far back, I'm doing a bit of research and I'm hoping someone here could answer this.In about 1989 or so, what make/model of plane might have fit the following description.-Jet-8 or so passengers-Common in the Soviet Union-And older (1960's to 1970's vintage)Basically, what were *they* using at the time that would be the Russian ancestor of whatever they have today that's the equiv of the Lear 45?I *was* thinking Yak-40, but that was just a guess.

Business jets were a product of a capitalist society/economy. How do you see them fitting into a communist economy where the state ran all business.Aeroflot was their answer to the bizjet.!

Guest Albatross7107

Simple matter of the elite class - alright, let's try a different angle. What would have been used to move a VIP or a small group of them from point A to point B. Military aircraft perhaps?

My guess would be the venerable Antinov AN 2 or if they were real lucky an AN 3 (turboprop version of the AN 2). :-)Over 16,000 were built.Forget small jet transports. - they just didn't exist.Cheers,Roger

Guest Albatross7107

Oh, well that's closer to what I needed! Thanks.The An-2 was introduced in 1947 (according to WikiPedia) The An-3 was in the 1990's - Setting is 1989, so the An-3 is out. Would and An-2 really be in general use in the late 80's?? A bi-plane!?

some sources show the An-2 having over 20,000 examples built. around 2000 An-2 were still being 'made to order' in poland.the SAP Y-5 is a chinese built An-2. i believe this is still in production.with all the above ... 'wide use' in the 1980s means that more were likely flying than the 727, 737, DC9, EMB120s, Saab340s etc combined.--

D. Scobie, feelThere support forum moderator: https://forum.simflight.com/forum/169-feelthere-support-forums/

Guest Albatross7107

That's kinda stunning to me... But there are other examples of "old tech" surviving much longer in other parts of the world then they do here in the "west".Know anywhere that I could find reliable specs on the beast?

from 'the vital guide to commercial aircraft and airliners' (2nd ed., 2000, p. 11) -* first flew 31, aug., 1947* fuselage is all metal (stressed)* 'wings' are a mix of metal and fabric* STOL aircraft* 1000hp PZL kalisz ASz-621R air-cooled 9 cylinder radial piston engine* two person flightdeck with up to 19 passengers (the 'normal' passenger config is 12)* 'transport' version can carry 4519 lbs* max 160 mph, ceiling 14425', range w/standard load 560mi* the An-3 has a 1450hp glushenkov TVD-20 turboprop--

D. Scobie, feelThere support forum moderator: https://forum.simflight.com/forum/169-feelthere-support-forums/

Guest Albatross7107

Thanks guy! I found one for FS9, fun plane to fly though it looks like it would be a bit uncomfortable and unpressurized - even so I like it (In FS9 anyway)