Sign in to follow this  
Guest flightmike1

AC design 101

Guest Rafael Cervera

Is there a way to increase the detail and sharpness of an AC viewed from the outside?I have downloaded an F4 phantom model but it looks as if it were a FS98 craft, all squared edges, etc. But it is great on frame rates!Anyway, since I have a PC with enough processing power, I was wondering if there was a way to increase the "polygon number"? (Im not shure about the terminolgy or the method, please excuse me if I am wrong).What I would like to achieve is along the lines of The LOCKHEED MARTIN F-16 by Kirk Olsson. Now there is superbly modeled AC!

Guest Dee Waldron

The simple answer is to get a hold of either design program and design the model you want, the way you want.You can tinker with the textures some and probably enhance them, clearing up the blurryness. You can't however redesign the model with only the MDL file as a source.Dee Waldron (HJG)

Guest Rafael Cervera

So which programs do I need?Can I "build" an MSFS AC with 3d Max?TIA

Guest Kobie1244

You sure can...... but you will have to be able to export it from 3ds Max to Make MDL to create the .mdl file. I cant remember the name of the export module for this though off hand.If you use Gmax.... basically the same program with some features that are not like 3ds Max, all you have to do is export it right out of Gmax using Make MDL.Kobie :-wave

Guest Steven007

I suggest you go visit http://www.freeflightdesign.com and read their tutorials. I think the tool Kobie is referring to is Middleman. It can use the .x files and create .mdl files from it.Greets,Steven

Guest FelixFFDS

>So which programs do I need?>>Can I "build" an MSFS AC with 3d Max?>>TIAIf you know 3DS Max, your best bet is to (try) to maintain a reasonably low-poly model (Note: "reasonably low" means 50K on highly detailed models) and export to a direct x file. You can then use makemdl directly.If you export your 3DMax file as a 3DS and work it in gmax, *at this time* you would also need FS2002 Pro to get at the FSexport.dle plugin that converts the gmax model to a format (x) that makemdl. uses.Felix/FFDSPegasus Aviation Design

Guest Rafael Cervera

Thanks for the good info! Im more of a photoshop - ACAD person but I will look into the max programs and see what I can come up with.:)

Guest flightmike1

Check the utilities page at FreeFlightDesign if you want to export an X file(to use with makemdl) from 3DS Max.