Sign in to follow this  
Guest Karl R Pettersen

How do I make a Cabinet File for my Gauges?

Guest Ionizeyou

Am curious how to go about making a cabinet file for my gauges... I'm using Windows.XP and have found a file, "MAKECAB.EXE" in the WINDOWSSYSTEM32 section. Maybe this isn't the correct executable to use, but perhaps someone can help me to find the correct one and how to go about using it.Best to all...Kevin Sparkuhl

If memory serves me, there is a CAB SDK out on the FS Insider website. You might have a look there.

Yes, it will make a *.cab file but you have to do it from the DOS Prompt or Command Prompt. I would copy the MAKECAB.EXE file and place in a new folder, i.e., gaugemaker, makegauges, or whatever.Next, press Start, all programs, accessories, command prompt. It will open a DOS window. Let say you have your winxp on drive C:, it may come up with the DOS prompt at C:Windows, C:Program Files, etc. Lets also say you made a folder C:gaugemaker and placed the MAKECAB.EXE in this folder. How do you get to it?First, if you are not in drive C: but D:, E:, F:, etc, just type C: and it should change you to the C: drive. Conversely, if you made your folder in other then C:, you would type the letter of the drive, X:.Second, now that you are at the correct drive, you need to get to the correct folder. Type CD gaugemaker and it should place the DOS prompt in the C:gaugemaker folder.Third, Type MAKECAB.EXE /? and it will shoW you what has to be entered after MAKECAB to make the *.CAB files. For instance, you have all your gauge files (*.bmp and *.xml) in a folder labelled MYGAUGE and it resides on the C: drive:MAKECAB C:mygauge*.* (GAUGENAME).CABorMAKECAB /L C:finishedgauge C:mygauge*.* (GAUGENAME).CABwhere (GAUGENAME) is the name you choose for your cabbed gauge. The second example will place the finished cabbed gauge in a folder C:finishedgauge. Therefore, you would have to make this folder prior to starting the process. In the first example, the finished cabbed gauge would be in the C:gaugemaker folder along with MAKECAB.EXE.W. Sieffert

Guest Ionizeyou

Thanks W. for your prompt reply...Do I need to repeat this for each and every .bmp and .xml file in my gauges folder, or is there a way to "cabinet" an entire folder?Thanks again!Kevin

Guest flightmike1

That does the entire folder, thats why he's put *.*.

Guest Ionizeyou

Thanks Jan...I appreciate the heads-up! That was way too easy, especially since I don't understand MS-DOS prompts all that well. Had a .cab archive five minutes after I downloaded the utility.Best Regards,Kevin

Ah yes, the easy way! :-lol Where's the adventure and the frustration of using good old DOS commands? :-madW. Sieffert:-lol

Guest Karl R Pettersen

Here is my suggestion: Don't CAB the files at all - let them live in their regular directories within the panel directory. Two reasons:First, it saves us the trouble of unpacking them. Don't worry, ALL involved in xml gauges WILL do it, it's a fact of life :DSecond, by leaving it open, it might encourage newbies to at least have a look and see what goes on. Maybe even trying to change some things. And voila, an xml-coder is born to everyones benefit. Anyway, that's how I got involved in the first place ;)