Sign in to follow this  
Guest airhead

Another eBay seller

Guest airhead

Quite disturbing indeed. Where do these guys get off? What's worse is the number of people who are actually supporting this jerk. Check out his reviews, 3 pages of 'em, most praising him for good service and product. These fools are acting like this punk is some kind of saint for offering them. Personally, I think it is situations like this that contribute to the decline of freeware developers and/or migration from freeware to payware. As an add-on aircraft developer myself, I find his activities despicable and would like nothing more than to string him up by his naughty bits and leave him for the birds to peck his eyes out. Or maybe strip him naked, cover him in honey and stake his dumb a$$ to a fire ant pile. Nah, that would be too humane....Anyway good catch, Tiberiu.

Guest Stefanosg

There is a good chance that the seller himself wrote those reviews. If they are willing to sell freeware, why not pan your own review while youre at it.

The author of those aircraft is Chuck Dome, who places his freeware in the public domain--pretty much gives free license for someone to do this. What's seedy about this guy on ebay is Chuck isn't even mentioned on the auction page.... I also agree--the reviews seem too contrived. Only thing to do is get on with life, I suppose...-John

Guest airhead

While I did notice that most were Chuck's aircraft, and being that means they are likely public domain (as you stated), it's still seems to me to be in rather bad taste. Particularly since (again, as you mentioned) he doesn't appear to give credit to Chuck (who I believe to be a heck of a nice guy from the contact I have had with him). I should say that I have seen others do this type of thing before with aircraft that were not released as public domain, which is just flat out wrong. It's the principle of it, you know....Thinking about it some more, maybe the folks who are buying deserve to pay (at the least for being ignorant and/or lazy). After all, how hard is it to visit Avsim.com or Flightsim.com to download them for free? Hell, you don't even have to sign up here at Avsim to download add-ons, how much easier (and cheaper) can it get?Anyway, enough said, on with life...

I agree with you 110 pct, that's it's in very bad taste... But I have collaborated with Chuck on a project, and I know his opinion is that if fools want to do this, he won't lose sleep over it. He made his work public domain knowing idiots out there would try to profit from it somehow (not that he wants that to happen). He designs for the fun of it, and is probably my major inspiration for releasing my own work....-John

Guest airhead

Well, I figured Chuck was good guy even given the minimal contact I've had with him (he helped me out with some small C gauges a while back). The fact that he doesn't let it bother him certainly reinforces that belief. As much as I hate to say it, I don't think I could be as forgiving about it as he is (not sure what that says about me). I too design for the fun of it, but situations like the one at ebay tend to spoil the fun a bit sometimes, even though it is someone else's work. I know the amount time and effort that goes into creating add-on aircraft and hate to see another developer getting ripped off. Especially someone who has contributed as much to the FS community as Chuck has.I've ordered a 55 gallon drum of honey and a gross of fire ants just in case someone tracks this guy down... :-hah