Sign in to follow this  
Shaka

Why no military AI?

Guest H_Kev55

For the past 2 years, I've been working on adding military AI to my sim.The biggest drawback is that you can't find any military models built expressly for AI use.I wonder, why is that?Are military models harder to design?Besides regional aircraft, the military aspect of AI in flight sims is sorely lacking.There is a HUGE niche to be filled by someone with the time, talent and courage to model military AI.If someone would undertake this, they would quickly become famous in this hobby.I just can't seem to understand why these guys don't see this...??Can anyone enlighten me?KJhttp://fsgateway.com/frank/fs9paibeta.jpg

Guest fmm40fr

In my opinion :Cargos and transports can be modelled like an airliner (some of them are old airliners)Fighters and trainers require a different level of detail (but no more polys, It's just AI ;-) )And as far I know, there are some projects of Hercules in stands, and at least one fighter.Maybe this is just a question of time.

Guest H_Kev55

It seems to me that the time for military AI is now.In following a thread at PAI, there have been over 1600 hits in about a month. This tells me that the interest from the users stand point is definately as large as it is for commercial AI.I think we just need to find a modeler willing to break out of the mold, as it were, and step into uncharted territory.While there are many flyable models available, it seems to me that it would be easier to model military ai b/c of the less detail and moving parts.KJhttp://fsgateway.com/frank/fs9paibeta.jpg

Guest John_Hirsch

I've had no problem with assigning regular aircraft as AI using TTOOLS. Why can't we just use the military aircraft already out there as AI? Is there something different that Project AI do to their planes?

Guest fmm40fr

The problem comes when you want airports filled with varied models.Let us take in example :A good flight model counts currently between 20000 and 50000 polygons.A simplified model with 4000 polygons.A simplified model with LOD, according to distance, 3000 to 50 polygonsMultiply by 10 20 and 30 and you will have an idea of the problem

Guest H_Kev55

Don't let my sig banner fool you. I don't work for PAI anymore. :-)I'm just inquiring as to why none of the top modelers has stepped up to fill one of the biggest niches in this hobby.We need models specifially designed for AI use. If we use the aircraft available now, which are awesome, your frame rates will take a huge dive.There are still a lot of users that can't afford some of the desktop Crays that some of you guys are using... :-) So, in oder to combat that, we need to be using low poly models designed for AI use.KJhttp://fsgateway.com/frank/fs9paibeta.jpg

Guest Firestriker

About six months or so ago, I copied the DC-3 model over from CFS2 to FS2002 and have it running around as AI just for some variety. I would assume that the other stock CFS2 aircraft could also be moved over and used. I realize that they are not present day aircraft and don't have the reflective textures and such so I guess what I am asking here is what specific aircraft would be wanted? If there is a present day flyable aircraft avalible, perhaps the author of that aircraft might release an AI friendly version if someone were to drop them an e-mail. A friend of mine just revamped my B707-320 to a Navy E-6B Mercury that is flyable but would probably work well as AI also.Lou

I think I remember a Finnish Military AI package for FS2002 that had hawks and f-18s. I agree, modern military AI is sorely lacking. I would think that aspiring designers that discovered how hard it was to make a detailed aircraft might look into the AI aspect as the LOD would be the hardest part more than likely. I know there are quite a bit of almost finished source models of modern military aircraft available for anyone to d/l and finish, this might be an easy option for some.Hey Kev, how come no mas PAI? Regards, MichaelKDFWhttp://mysite.verizon.net/res052cd/mybannercva1.jpgCalVirAir International VAwww.calvirair.comCougar Mountain Helicopters & Aviationwww.cgrmtnhelos.com

Best, Michael

KDFW

Before I started designing aircraft, I built some simplified models for use as AI. I think I made an F-5E, C-130, B-1, B-52 and a C-135. They worked fine, but were quite primitive since they were my first works. Also, I had trouble with aircraft with complex curves like the F-16 and F-18. Later, when I designed the scenery for Ubon, I included the F-5E model that I had previously made since F-5's are based at this airport. I left it to the user to add the aircraft to his AI flight plans if he wanted.I don't think it would be very difficult to get a project going, but maybe you would want to mention this to the Project AI folks to see if there is a duplicate project already going on.Also, I think there are a larger variety of military aircraft than civilian airliners, and many countries still use older aircraft. So, this might be a bigger project than the original Project AI.- Martin