Sign in to follow this  
Guest jetBlue_03

Specular highlight

Guest jetBlue_83

What are the settings in gmax that can create good specular highlights? I'm at the end of the rope; I've tried setting the specular level to everything in the material editor in gmax but I either get a really bright model, or nothing at all.

Guest odog

gmax has a bug that requires the hand editing of the x file, or a program like middleman/mdl commander (must have IMO)140 is what i like, but its different for each plane. Once the textures are done, i go back and set the spec level.joe

Guest jetBlue_83

Thanx, I'll give it a try!

Guest jetBlue_03

Using middleman in conjunciton with mdlcommander worked out great!! thanx for the advice.

Guest simagic3d

> gmax has a bug that requires the hand editing of the x file,> or a program like middlemanJoe,What do you set/select in MiddleMan so get gmax spec out to mdl?What is actually passed out the export pipeline... spec color, spec amplitude, spec glossiness, or all three?

Guest odog

the specular level and the color of the model are all that you can control. glossiness is not an fs option.I use the model/part color to determine the spec colorI then set my level to around 140 and then test, the higher the number the more focused the shine.I would reco making 4-5 sphere's and apply a texture and set your alpha reflection, then set a diff spec level/color on each sphere (50-400) and then you can visually compare, and pick what you like.each plane i've made has had a diff spec level and color, my beriev used an almost yellow/orange spec color and a 140 level, The Cessna 195 was more chrome, so i used a light grey, 150 level.its a personal choice, most modelers over do it. it should be a subtle effect.joe