Sign in to follow this  
Shaka

tiltrotor flight model question

Hi,I'm not an aircraft designer, but I am curious as to whether the FS2004 flight modeling "environment" allows the modeling of a tiltrotor aircraft.Specifically, I want to know whether an FS flight model can handle a smooth transition from vertical thrust to horizontal thrust and then back again, as a tiltrotor does in almost every flight.Thanks,Dave Blevins

System: Asus P8Z68 Deluxe/Gen3 mobo *** i7 2700K @ 5gHz w/ Corsair H80 cooler

NVidia GTX 570 OC *** 8 GB 1600 Corsair Vengeance DRAM *** CoolerMaster HAF X case

System overclocked and tuned for FSX by fs-gs.com

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog stick/throttle & CH Products Pro Pedals

Various GoFlight panels *** PFC avionics stack

Guest flightmike1

I don't think its actually supported by FS but it can be very basically represented in the sim.

All the models I've seen "fake it" by generating a high amount of lift when full flaps are down, since the thrust can't actually be vectored. Most Harrier add-ons seem to work this way too. When in hover, you don't get a realistic flight model, and it requires a very small amount of forward speed to maintain lift. Still, there are examples in the library (I'm pretty sure) of a V-22 Osprey, if you want to try it out for yourself.- Martin