Sign in to follow this  
Guest flightmike1

aircraft textures question

I have been painting aircraft for a while now and have a few repaints in the avsim library but there is something that has been bothering me for a long time. I use DXTbmp with Adobe Photoshop Elements 1.0 as my editing program. The problem I have is that the textures lose sharpness and color after processing them through DXTbmp. Does anyone know of a fix for this problem? It is annoying as all get out for me. Here is a screenshot to illistrate what I am talking about.http://forums.avsim.com/user_files/49211.jpg

Guest odog

hey eric, Im no paint'n expert, but I think it has to do with DXTbmp degrading the image through the DXT conversion. I think its best to save a "fresh" copy on your desktop for editing. in a nutshell, if you keep editing a DXT3 image it starts to look like crud.i think im close... please correct me if im wrong.joenot the painter...

Guest Stijn van Wees

Hey,Maybe Im stupid? but erm, Which extension do you use, DXT3? well, make sure you have disabled 'include mips' in the Prefs rollout...cheers,Stijn van Wees

Yes, I always disable mipmaps and for myself use DXT3 because I have an older system. I also keep a set of master textures in .psd format of whatever I am working on. After making changes to the .psd texture I save it as a bitmap and then open DXTbmp import the old texture into Photoshop and copy and paste the new texture and then refresh in DXTbmp. That is the process I use the texture doesn't continue to get degraded through dxt formatting. I was just wanting to know if there was something I was doing wrong to cause it in the first place.

Guest flightmike1

You will lose quality from a 24bit image to a DXT3 no matter what, i suggest you use 32bit textures instead.