Sign in to follow this  
scoob

When to lower the gear in a super 80

Guest V4DIV-CVN-70

Simple question, at what point during an ILS approach do you lower the gear?

Guest Pilot533

On the super 80 the sop is to lower the gear at 1.5 dots before gs intercept.

Guest V4DIV-CVN-70

ThanksI was just about right on my guessing.....LOVE the F1.Coolsky Super 80....

Guest bstolle

>On the super 80 the sop is to lower the gear at 1.5 dots before gs intercept.SOPs from which company?Even this are SOPs, IRL this is way too early. Too much drag, noise etc..Normally you delay the gear extension as long as possible (on every airliner).You want to be established in landing configuration between 500-1000ft above ground.So gear extension takes place between 1500 and 2500ft above ground. Only if the weather is really bad e.g. CATII or CATIII weather, you have to be overhead the outermarker in landing configuration which means, gear down, landing flap setting, correct approach speed and thrust setting.RegardsBernt Capt 767

>Thanks>>I was just about right on my guessing.....>>LOVE the F1.Coolsky Super 80....Me too, it's as good as the PMDG 747 for immersion factor.Wimps needn't apply this is hardcore only ;)

Dave Taylor gb.png

Guest CRJ700FO

agreed. usually about a 4nm final. usually if it is before that it is due to weather or a need by ATC to slow to a speed and rather than pulling the speed brakes out you drop the gear to increase drag.

Guest RonB49

>IRL this is way too early.But OTOH, IVL (in virtual [sim] life) this is about right. Sometimes I need the added drag to slow some sim AC as they slide down the glide path. So I extend the gear at about the same time as glide slope capture; earlier if I'm too high or too fast. R-

>and rather than pulling the speed brakes out you drop the gear>to increase drag.In the sim, that would be the reason I do it sooner--to cut a little speed off without resorting to the speed brake, which I am loath to use...some a/c like the DC-8, recommend not using speed brakes at all!RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Are there any problems flying the Super 80 if I have sp2 (not acceleration) installed?

Jim Wenham

Guest bstolle

>1 1.2 to 2 dot below glidesloepe was right.I know that it's written in the SOPs, manuals etc...Point is, you simply DON'T do it IRL in good weather for the above mentioned reasons.RegardsBernt Capt 767

>>1 1.2 to 2 dot below glidesloepe was right.>>I know that it's written in the SOPs, manuals etc...>Point is, you simply DON'T do it IRL in good weather for the>above mentioned reasons.>>Regards>>Bernt >>Capt 767IRL, there are too many variables and different situations to emphatically say that something such as this is a capitalized DO or DON'T. Variables such as altitude and distance from the runway, speed assignments, and winds all come together to dictate when you call for the gear handle.If you were intercepting the glideslope at 5000' and 10 miles outside the marker, then yes, it would not be appropriate to dirty up into landing configuration and speed at that point. If you were intercepting the glideslope at 1500' and 5 miles from the runway, then there is nothing wrong with dropping the gear according to the profile. In fact, you would pretty much have to if you wanted to look like you were attempting to comply with your company's rules for being configured and stablized on approach. If you were told by ATC to maintain XXX speed until the marker, then you would probably not want to drop the gear and start slowing until you got to the marker. If there is 30kts of tailwind aloft, then you may be well advised to drop the gear and start slowing a few miles before the marker.The training profiles that you find in the manual are appropriate for flying the airplane under a specific set of assumptions. IRL, you adjust what you do because the situations are wide and variable and you do what is best in order to comply with ATC and how they set you up, the weather, and the company's rules for stabilised approach.

Guest bstolle

Now THAT was a very detailed and informative summary, thanx :)My 'excuse' for not going into more detail is that I'm always trying to keep it as short and simple as possible.(At least in the beginning ;)) RegardsBernt Capt 767

My advice is to do it prior to landing. :-)Eric

rexesssig.jpg AND ftx_supporter_avsim.jpg