Sign in to follow this  
Guest odog

Interior Reflections on Windows?

Guest product

Hello All,I'm new to this forum, but am very good with Photoshop, Illustrator, etc. Basically I'd like to add interior reflections onto the windows of some aircraft (as featured on Carenado's 210 and the new F104 from Captain Sim), I feel it greatly adds to the realism in the VC. In particular I'm thinking of making this tweak for RealAir's wonderful (wonderful!) new Decathalon, which already has "dirty window" textures I'm guessing I could start with as texture files to edit.I searched and could not find any posts on this subject, wonder if anyone can point me in the right direction or offer some advice on the technical aspects of adding such reflections? Thanks for any help,Joel

Guest odog

Hi welcome, Some planes are simply not designed with interior windows. Its not an easy task as it may seem, you are looking at/thru them from a very close perspective and any boogers will looks very bad. I create all my models with interior/reflective/dynamic windows. In my texture folder is a 'windows_T' texture that controls the color and the reflections thru a DXT3 bitmap with a nearly black alpha. good luck with your quest.joeHHDS

Guest jlwoodward

Joe,What is a good color to use? I am using 0-206-214 with 128 alpha, and apply the color to the part instead of as a texture. I am not really satisfied with the result, and would like to try a texture next time. I am using FSDS2, so I don't know what a dxt3 is.Thanks,John Woodward

Guest odog

Im still not 100% happy with the interior windows on my last model. I used 140 dynamic shine and 20% transparent plus the attached texture in gmax. The one bug i found is that my gauges dont show through the windows, from the outside, with this method. So i could have put a reflective window on just the inside, but i put a static panel in the exterior model, instead of real gauges. (made framerates go up too)Its a little dark and needs a tad more shine.good luck.

Guest product

I think the guys at Carenado have it down too a science... what's the best way to open up their files to see what the secret is? Will Photoshop do it?Best,Joel