Sign in to follow this  
Guest Douglas K

Is there a better way to edit aircraft.cfg file?

Hi everyone, happy Monday, if there is such a thing :) I'm new to the forum and I'm making my first plane. I'd like to find a good program that makes aircraft.cfg files, ideally something where I tell it I want to be able to climb at 113 KIAS with 400,000 lbs gross weight and it tells me what I need to do that. Anything like that available?I know how to read the .cfg file, but I don't know what effects some of the figures have. With the airplane I made I entered the data straight from the airplane manual and it didn't work, the nose pitches up when I get to takeoff speed and I can't get the nose to come back down, it even makes a complete loop! Can anyone point me to a tutorial that might help with this (or tell me what I need to do to get the nose back down). I know I have the airplane COG at 25% MAC so I don't think it's a weight & balance problem. Thanks a bunch!-Gary

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi Douglas, I tried the flight dynamics workbook already and still came up with the same problem - nose pitches up and keeps going up. I got the testing panel too which is very cool. So it would be nice if instead of entering a physical description of the plane I could enter what performance I want to get from it. I'm thinking its not as important how realistic the .cfg file looks like as much as how realistic the plane performs.I'm on vacation this week, so its a happy Monday for me too :)

Then I'm guessing this A/C is for FS9. ;)Having the CG at 25% MAC in FS9 (as reported by AFSD) is no guarantee that the A/C will be well balanced. The default DC-3 is at about 25%, and it is nose heavy. I would first make sure all the balance related entries in the (airplane_geometry) aircraft.cfg file section (especially the wing_pos_apex_lon) are correct, and that all weight related items and moment arms (CG, payload, fuel) are where they should be. Center of lift can also affect this, see below for the effect of airfile Rec 1534 on an FS2002 A/C in FS9. Then you should read this forum topic for more info on FS9 center of gravity strangeness:http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...ing_type=searchAlso, the engine thrust vertical offset can have they same effect you describe if it is set too far below the reference datum. And I have seen an FS2002 A/C that had Rec 1534 (Wing Center of Lift Offset) in the airfile, and with that airfile parameter set correctly for FS2002, in FS9 the aircraft would pitch up on T/O and stall. So you might want to check your airfile for the presence of that entry, and if you find it, adjust the settings or even remove it to see if that cures the problem.