Sign in to follow this  
Guest CX001

How do I create X files for MakeMDL...?

Guest CX001

Ok, I've been running MakeMD on a .gmax file through gmax for a while now, but i'm fed up with not being able to choose the MakeMDL settings like I would if I were running it as a standalone program. The trouble is that makeMDL is welding a good deal of points automatically that I don't want welded, distorting some areas of my model. How do I export a "X file", which MakeMDL can take in? And, is there any way to make certain settings in MakeMDL default? Many thanks in advance.

Guest odog

gmax im guessing... Middleman & MDLcommander are needed, but hand hacking an X file is daunting buisness (when they get into the 10meg range). I find the options of MM and MDLc cover everything and then some (anyone know what "specular canopy hack" does?). Make sure you have the latest builds and the newest MakeMDL.turn off optimize and weld points and that should cure it. I made a radial engine for a Shavrov amphib and i did the bolts and rockers and it was quite detailed. I would get the same welding of the small bits. MakeMDL will weld verts regardless when they are closer than .01, or was it .001... cant remember, but that much detail is overkill.good luckjoe

Guest CX001

Thanks Joe. I had forgotten about MDL Commander. :-doh I'll go hunt it down...

Guest Milton

Chris,If I recall correctly, you can Export Selected, File Type .bgl and get Makemdl stop, select your Options (from the Options Tab), then Select the Main tab, change file type to Aircraft, and GO.Milton

Guest CX001

Milton, that works perfectly. Thanks for the tip. I still will need to get MDL Commander to work so I can add the specteral shine in the X file, though. Here's a shot of the model in question in case you guys were curious. It's a Supermarine S.6B. More soon. I'm dead serious about finishing this one. http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/51118.jpg

Guest odog

looks nice. yeah, its all fun and games till the UVW mapping starts. LOLI have quite a complex system in use now. I have gmax, PSP, and 3d Unwrap all running.I export the part to 3d Unwrap.save the UVW map.open in PSPadd the line up marksopen the texture in the ID slotsadjust with gmax Unwrap.repeat... repeat... repeat... repeat...With my current model im cramming everything i can on each map and trying not to waste any space.just holla if you get stuck.joe

Guest CX001

Thanks Joe. I've done mockup skinning on other models with pretty good success. Getting past the initial complexity of the material editor is the hardest part (based from my limited experience). The model isn't too complex from a texturing point of view except for the cylinder block fairings, and the prop. The arrangement for those will probably be the polygons on the upper surfaces textured seperately from the side ones. For ease of texturing, I might attach the fairings to the fuselage. Thanks again...

Guest Milton

Chris,You know that you can select/include multiple objects in one mesh select/uvw map ... no need to attach. If you do this, consider mapping the outsides of the fairings with the fuse sides, and do a top map of the forward fuse and fairing insides.

Guest CX001

Interesting. I'll give that a try. BTW, in FS, the model, from some viewpoints, will cease to display(on or off, based on view). any view from below the origin makes the model disappear. Any ideas to the cause? It didn't always to this and has only done so for the last 3 exports. Thanks.

Guest odog

im pretty sure its cuz you have no textures applied. I was getting the same thing with a few knobs on my panel. They would intermitently vanish and reappear. When the textures were laid it stopped.I hate that, cuz in 2k2 it never did that to me. You could get away with "gmax textures" and save the bitmap work.stick a texture on it and it will stop. I use a Chrome_T applied to the whole model before ID/UVW begins. I can see all the dents and boogers in my mesh, so they can be fixed before textures start.joe

Guest CX001

Thanks Joe. Come this saturday I might get a few things that are easy to texture textured(control surfaces, wings, maybe floats). The real fun will be texturing out the interior(yeah right).