Sign in to follow this  
Guest fabrytnix

Flight1 & piracy

Guest bstolle

Everybody talks about piracy and what can be done about it.Due to this ongoing piracy discussion and after my last experience with Flight1 I wanted to share this

Guest zzmikezz

Bernt,I guess that as a developer I must ask this: Is it okay if a protection scheme sometimes does harm a customer? If yes, may it be one in ten? In a hundred? In a thousand?I'm not trying to be a smart alec here but if piracy is simply a cost of doing business, maybe occasional wrapper problems are a price of being a customer.I have two Flight1 products that I've purchased twice because I wanted to get around certain hassles without involving customer service. I'm not saying that everybody should be willing to do this, only that I was.

Guest bstolle

For me this is a basic customer care problem.After buying quite a few products from Flight1 I simply thought that it would cost Flight1 nothing to e.g. issue a new key.It's just 15USD! Why should I pay for something I bought already, only due to a strange 'security' problem?With that attitude Flight1 is showing, I do get the impression that they are assuming that I'm trying to 'cheat' to get a free upgrade, basically another form of piracy.And that's definitely not a customer oriented attitude.It's the same in my job. We HAVE to be friendly and customer oriented, otherwise people will start talking about the unfriendly airline and sooner or later you will see a signifcant decline in passenger figures.If that happens at Flight1 I'm sure that 'piracy' is the official culprit and nothing else.RegardsBernt Capt 767

Guest zzmikezz

I agree, Bernt. While I'm happy to overpay FLight1, I would not want to ask that of my own customers. If I do elect to release the product it will be with a lightweight license key and not anything tied to a fingerprint of the customer's machine.

Guest bstolle

The invalid license is no problem.When you reinstall from the original downloaded package you just need the keyfile. Connecting to the internet, the Flight1 wrapper automatically generates a new license.But if the license file is invalid, there must have been a hardware change as well. If not.... well, see my initial post ;) RegardsBernt Capt 767

Sorry to read about the problems you are having. You might not know I provide volunteer support on Flight1's forum but didn't find any posts by you regarding a problem. The Flight1 wrapper system is really quite user friendly and automated for renewing and/or replacing keys and even working with you if you change your email address and can even provide you with a list of your purchases including your four digit code used (usually the last four digits of your card #). I know you state you emailed support regarding being able to prove you purchased but understand that as a company of its size Flight1 does get numerous email requests like this from people that don't actually have a reciept. Did you forward any of the email confirmations from your original purchase or include a scan of the reciept when you emailed support? I have to say your experience is really out of the ordinary for a legit purchaser (which I believe you are) so I hope you can get matters sorted out.

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

Guest bstolle

If you have the key file, it's fully automatic, don't worry.Strange about the other products.Glad that there's CS and Carenado. BTW, the 1.1 Herk works beautifully.RegardsBernt Capt 767

Guest bstolle

Seems that it was a good idea to start plane design for x-plane again ;) RegardsBernt Capt 767

>Seems that it was a good idea to start plane design for>x-plane again ;)> Oh good!Put some more "feel" into small X-Planes. I still get the perceptionof a somewhat "vacuum" with puppet strings; and 10 minutes of flying around just get's on my nerves. Other than that, there are things I like about X-Plane.L.Adamson -- getting off subject

Guest bstolle

>Put some more "feel" into small X-Planes...In progress, you will be surprised ;)First plane with the 'heavier' more dampened feel will be the xplanefreeware 757 for v9 (not too far away)RegardsBernt Capt 767

FS2Crew has been using the Flight1 Wrapper system for over three years, so I'm very familiar with it.I've found it to be a generally very reliable and easy system for my users.If users need new Keys, lost their password, etc., it only takes a couple seconds to get it all back, via here:http://www.flight1.com/view.asp?page=wrapperserviceNow some people (usually less than 1 percent from my experience) have odd issues with the Flight1 System for whatever reason; in that case you usually buy the same software from Simmarket or the FS Pilot shop or any other online store.Cheers,Bryan

C'mon Bernt. This has nothing to do with Piracy. The title of your thread is entirely misleading.Also, based on how I personally have tried to do things to smooth out any issues you had in the past, I am disappointed you had to take an argument, issue, gripe, whatever, to a public location.But since we are here, you know that if you were having an issue that could not get resolved with Jeff, you could have asked Jeff to forward the ticket to me. In looking at the thread, it seems as though Jeff thought that since he could not find an alternate order with the "other" email address, and that you did finally make the FSX purchase on a Friday, that all was OK. But you interpreted that as a "reaction" from Jeff when it really was not. And Jeff does forward difficult tickets if he could not figure something out.Also, your more "personal" accusations in the thread (see near the end) will surely make for a short reaction in a followup from anyone. Yes, I know you are the customer, but still, saying what you did with personal attack overtones was not right.OK... even if Jeff did make a mistake trying to figure out what was going on, it has little to do with piracy. The thread is difficult to follow in a way, and we have zero interest in trying to spend many replies in trying to save 15 dollars. It was more about trying to figure out what was happening.

Thanks,

Steve Halpern

Flight One Software