Sign in to follow this  
Guest Douglas K

DC-3 Fuel Selector Gauge - seeking XML advice

Hello, O skilled supermen and experts in XMLI am attempting to set up the default FS9 DC-3 to fly on four tanks rather than the three that MS supply her with. DC-3s were designed to have four tanks (just over 800 gallons) but most airlines shut off one tank given shorter itineraries and carried just over 600 gallons in three tanks. Hence, Microsoft's configuration. I have adapted the graphics for the DC-3 fuel selector gauge to show four positions but am confused at how to adapt the XML. The three fuel gauge XMLs within the default CAB file are FUEL GAUGE, FUEL GAUGE SELECTOR and FUEL PRESSURE. I think only the first two XMLs are relevant to this particular change. I have broken them out of the CAB and could forward them to anyone who might be able to assist here.In FS9 by default, there are three settings - AUX (central tank - actually it should be offset), LEFT MAIN and RIGHT MAIN. What I seek to achieve is LEFT AUX, LEFT MAIN, RIGHT MAIN and RIGHT AUX. I think ... experts may tell me there should also be an ALL TANKS setting.There were a number of FS2002 gauges that covered four tanks - most of the earlier FS DC-3s such as Jan Visser's had four - but in FS2002 the AUX tanks emptied first in parallel irrespective of their selection, followed by the main tanks. This was, clearly, not correct. I have tried using such gauges in FS9; they select each gauge properly according to the fuel quantity gauge on the panel, but actual fuel burn remains as in FS2002.So is anyone up to the challenge of configuring the FS9 default DC-3 for four, individually usable tanks? By adding an entry to the AIRCRAFT.CFG file, a fourth tank appears in the FS fuel menu, no problem; but it's getting that tank to be properly selectable from the cockpit that has thwarted me so far.Any advice will be greatly appreciated. I can forward the revised graphics and relevant files to any helpful soul.Kind regardsMark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/newlogo.jpg

Mark,Not familiar with the DC3, but:Use 2 fuelselectors (aircraft.cfg) and for the selectors the SET event.Not sure of the synthax, but something like X (>K:Fuelselector1(2)_set)X=0......12(?) and 0=OFF, 1=All, 2=Left Main 3. etc. etc.So you can use any tank for any engine , crossfeed and all.A fuelquant. gauge shows which tank is in use.Works ok with me.Jan"Procul Negotiis"

Hi JanThanks for the reply.I have the AIRCRAFT.CFG configured for four tanks and for two fuel selectors, and all shows up as it should in the FS menu.This is what I have entered under FUEL:################################################################LeftMain = -22.55, -6.7, -3.0, 201.0, 1.0 //Longitudinal (feet), Lateral (feet), Vertical (feet), Usable(gallons), Unusable (gallons)RightMain= -22.55, 6.7, -3.0, 201.0, 1.0 //Longitudinal (feet), Lateral (feet), Vertical (feet), Usable(gallons), Unusable (gallons)LeftAux = -22.55, -3.0, -2.7, 199.0, 1.0 //Longitudinal (feet), Lateral (feet), Vertical (feet), Usable(gallons), Unusable (gallons)RightAux = -22.55, 3.0, -2.7, 199.0, 1.0 //Longitudinal (feet), Lateral (feet), Vertical (feet), Usable(gallons), Unusable (gallons)fuel_type = 1 //Fuel type: 1 = Avgas, 2 = JetAnumber_of_tank_selectors = 2 electric_pump=1###########################################################This is the entire SELECTOR gauge XML (default, unedited):############################################################(L:Fuel Gauge Switch, enum)(L:Fuel Gauge Switch, enum) -- d 0 < if{ 2 } (>L:Fuel Gauge Switch, enum)(L:Fuel Gauge Switch, enum) ++ d 2 > if{ 0 } (>L:Fuel Gauge Switch, enum)#################################################################And this is the XML for the QUANTITY gauge (default, unedited):#################################################################- - - - - (L:Fuel Gauge Switch, enum) 0 == if{ (A:Fuel tank left main level,position) 205 * quit } else{ (L:Fuel Gauge Switch, enum) 1 == if{ (A:Fuel tank right main level,position) 205 * quit } else{ (A:Fuel tank center level,position) 202 * quit } } - - - #########################################################Can you assist on telling me how to change the above appropriately? I have read your advice carefully but do not see how I would insert your recommendations?Thanks for any further help you can give ....Mark "Dark Moment" BeaumontP.S. Ha! Scrooge got into the text! The miserable smileys should be the opening brackets ....P.P.S. On the graphic for the fuel selector gauge, I have done a new bitmap showing LEFTAUX at 9 o'clock, LEFTMAIN at between 10-11 o'clock, RIGHTMAIN at 1-2 o'clock, and RIGHTAUX at 3 o'clock. I don't have an ALL TANKS setting, maybe I should have at 12 o'clock. No problem, please advise your thoughts.http://www.swiremariners.com/newlogo.jpg

Mark, First put these "Strings" temporarily somewhere on your panel.L: %((A:FUEL TANK SELECTOR 1,ENUM))%{case}%{:0}%CUT OFF%{:1}%ALL%{:2}%LEFT MAIN%{:3}%RIGHT MAIN%{:4}%LEFT AUX%{:5}%RIGHT AUX%{:6}%{end}R: %((A:FUEL TANK SELECTOR 2,ENUM))%{case}%{:0}%CUT OFF%{:1}%ALL%{:2}%LEFT MAIN%{:3}%RIGHT MAIN%{:4}%LEFT AUX%{:5}%RIGHT AUX%{:6}%{end}Then you can read what tank is in use for which engine, 1=Left, 2=Right.The i should change the clickspots on the Fuel Selectors as follows(1=2):From left to right: Left Main, Right Main, Left Aux, Right Aux: Left Fuel Selector LM0 (>L:Fuel Gauge Switch, enum)Left Fuel Selector RM1 (>L:Fuel Gauge Switch, enum)Left Fuel Selector LA2 (>L:Fuel Gauge Switch, enum)Left Fuel Selector RA3 (>L:Fuel Gauge Switch, enum)Second selector:Right Fuel Selector LM0 (>L:Fuel Gauge Switch 2, enum)etcProbably this works to: L:Fuel Gauge Switch, enum) -- d 0 < if{ 3 } (>L:Fuel Gauge Switch, enum) L:Fuel Gauge Switch, enum) ++ d 3 > if{ 0 } (>L:Fuel Gauge Switch, enum)etc.Then some "logic":(L:Fuel Gauge Switch, enum) 0 == if{ 2 (>K:FUEL_SELECTOR_SET) } (L:Fuel Gauge Switch, enum) 1 == if{ 3 (>K:FUEL_SELECTOR_SET) } (L:Fuel Gauge Switch, enum) 2 == if{ 4 (>K:FUEL_SELECTOR_SET) } (L:Fuel Gauge Switch, enum) 3 == if{ 5 (>K:FUEL_SELECTOR_SET) } (L:Fuel Gauge Switch 2, enum) 0 == if{ 2 (>K:FUEL_SELECTOR_2_SET) } (L:Fuel Gauge Switch 2, enum) 1 == if{ 3 (>K:FUEL_SELECTOR_2_SET) } (L:Fuel Gauge Switch 2, enum) 2 == if{ 4 (>K:FUEL_SELECTOR_2_SET) } (L:Fuel Gauge Switch 2, enum) 3 == if{ 5 (>K:FUEL_SELECTOR_2_SET) } So you can see it is possible that Eng1 takes fuel from all possible tanks as does Eng2.Crossfeed e.g.: both selectors on R or LM.The code of the indicator needs some change too for the second Aux tank:(left aux)(right aux)Finally for the fuel needle some changes: (L:Fuel Gauge Switch, enum) 0 == if{ (A:Fuel tank left main level,position) 205 * } (L:Fuel Gauge Switch, enum) 1 == if{ (A:Fuel tank right main level,position) 205 * } (L:Fuel Gauge Switch, enum) 2 == if{ (A:Fuel tank left aux level,position) 205 * } (L:Fuel Gauge Switch, enum) 3 == if{ (A:Fuel tank right aux level,position) 205 * } Of course you can add an Off and All position if you want.Not tested, hope it helps,Jan"Procul Negotiis"BTW. did you try my suggestions about the F16 Radar gauge, wrote you a mail.

Wow, thanks, Jan ... what input. I had of course forgotten completely that the fuel TANK selector gauges would need to be modified as well as the fuel GAUGE selector positions; all a bit complicated, isn't it.I shall read and try to comprehend! Again, thank you for your help so far.I don't recall ever seeing a mail from you about Eric's TCAS gauge. If you still have it, would you please resend?Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/newlogo.jpg

Mark,Send it in your AVSIM inbox.JanNot so "Procul Negotiis"

JanWe're getting there with the XML and graphics ... now have four tanks, four fuel gauge selector positions that work and four-position 2D panel engine selector switches (plus OFF) that work totally independently i.e. no parallel drain, as was the problem with four tank operation in FS2002.Graphics are fine throughout including the 3D VC but ... the SWITCHES in the VC remain THREE-WAY plus OFF (and function as such). There seems to be no relevant gauge in the VC config or anything that can be changed. It appears, therefore, that this particular facet is in the model, not the panel, which means that short of reverse-engineering the MS model file, it can't be changed.Am I right, do you know?Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/newlogo.jpg

Mark,Isn't it better to create a 5 position switch?(Off, Right and Left Main's and Aux's)You only have to add in the logic for OFF:(L:Fuel Gauge Switch, enum) 4 == if{ 0 (>K:FUEL_SELECTOR_SET) } (L:Fuel Gauge Switch 2, enum) 4 == if{ 0 (>K:FUEL_SELECTOR_2_SET) } Change the clickspots: L:Fuel Gauge Switch, enum) -- d 0 < if{ 4 }(>L:Fuel Gauge Switch, enum) L:Fuel Gauge Switch, enum) ++ d 4 > if{ 0 }(>L:Fuel Gauge Switch, enum)or:Left Fuel Selector OFF4 (>L:Fuel Gauge Switch, enum)Right Fuel Selector OFF4 (>L:Fuel Gauge Switch 2, enum)and needle left:And of course right:Have no idea's about VC, that is still too much for me, but may be this works also.Jan"Procul Negotiis"

Sorry, Jan, thanks again for your input, but we HAVE created a five position switch ... I said four plus OFF, which is five.That's all fine in 2D, and fully workable ... but the VC still shows three plus OFF and anyone turning the switches to OFF will kill engines. So that dynamic action and its result must be incorporated in the VC model, I think. It's nowhere to be found in the VC gauges.Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/newlogo.jpg

Mark,Did the DC3 for a few moments and i noticed that even after deleting all entrees in the VC, the left fuel selector still was there and functioning.Silly idea: you can increase the capacity of one Aux Tank and forget about the other (Type DM Special ER v. 0.1)....Jan"Procul Negotiis"

Naaahhhh, Jan ... we'll just tell people to forget about setting tanks in VC. It seems flawed anyway, even by default ... no matter where you click the MS switch in VC, it rotates only one way, anticlockwise. Thus, if you try to switch from AUX to RIGHTMAIN it goes through OFF on the way, thereby killing your engine(s). Not a good idea ..... about as useful as a refrigerator in an igloo.Our modification for four tanks in 2D gives total flexibility and whatever section is clicked on is selected.Again, thanks for your input on this. It's been very useful to check your ideas against our own findings. A few DC-3s have dropped out of the skies in the process, but we'll now be able to make that option available shortly.Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/newlogo.jpg

Guest Douglas K

>It appears, therefore, that this particular facet is in the model, not the panel, which means that short of reverse-engineering the MS model file, it can't be changed.

Thanks, Douglas. You confirm my suspicions, clearly. As you point out, we can't start playing with the model for upload so my previous conclusions about only operating the engine switches in 2D will have to stand.<<<>>>That's only the fuel GAUGE selector, Douglas. The 2D engine fuel selectors are on the ECU pop up panel. We have successfully modified both the Fuel Gauge Selector and Engine Fuel Tank Selectors for 4-tank use. Uploading soon.Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/newlogo.jpg

Guest Douglas K

>That's only the fuel GAUGE selector, Douglas. The 2D enginefuel selectors are on the ECU pop up panel.< :-lol Looks like I need to fly the MS DC-3 more!I downloaded your DC3_PAN.ZIP last month but haven't tried it until today. I just installed it and I'm favorably impressed. Nice work. I'm looking forward to the fuel tank mod and the new fuel TANK selector gauges; I have read (Ernest K. Gann) that the only time a DC-3 can have too much fuel on board is if it's on fire!