Sign in to follow this  
Guest airhead

WEP in FS9, is it possible?

Guest airhead

Greetings all,Just wondering if anyone knows the answer to this. Is it possible to have and use WEP (war emergency power) in an FS9 aircraft? I've been working on some prelim stuff for a warbird project and I am trying to get this to work (no success yet, obviously). Any assistance would be appreciated.

Guest Douglas K

I would like to know if it can be done with a gauge, so far the only way I can get it to work is to assign a key to it in FSUIPC. It was the same in FS2002. After you assign the key in FSUIPC, you may have to change the related aircraft.cfg file (piston_engine) section entries to enable and adjust the emergency_boost settings.There doesn't seem to be a K event for the Recip Eng Emergency boost in the controls.dll file in either version of FS, so with my limited XML skills I have to rely on Mr. Dowson to overboost my engines in FS2002 and FS9. I don't use it in FS too often though, unlike CFS, nobody is shooting at me!

Guest airhead

Hey Doug,Thanks for the response.I couldn't find an emergency boost event (only a few emgerg. boost entries for parameters), but I did come across KEY_WAR_EMERGENCY_POWER in the EventID document. I haven't had a chance to try anything with it yet. I would guess it is a boolean switch, but I have to wonder if this isn't a CFS leftover and FS might not recognize it. Maybe we'll get lucky here.True, nobody is shooting at you, but that doesn't mean you can't fly like someone is! :DPersonally, I enjoy intercepting commuter and GA aircraft, even though I can't shoot 'em down.

Guest Douglas K

>Personally, I enjoy intercepting commuter and GA aircraft

Guest airhead

Yeah, the heavy metal is tough to keep up with. I try to nail 'em right after they get off the ground and hang with them until I no longer can. :)Those big old warbirds seem to like it hot and heavy. I've just started work on a P-47D (hence the original question) and I know she gets pretty sluggish in control response and a bit unstable at really low speeds.I have worked a bit more with the WEP stuff, unfortunately no luck yet. :( I'll keep plugging away and maybe something will come of it.But...... I have been working on something else for her that you might find interesting. I'm building some effects for the eight 50cal guns. Muzzle flashes, tracers, ejected brass casings, smoke puffs, the whole nine yards. The only thing missing is some nice helical cordite smoke trails for the fired rounds (likely not going to happen). So far everything is going well with exception to my muzzle flashes not showing in the VC once airborn. Tried some fixes here but none are working yet (I might have to leave it as is). I also need to refine the tracers a bit, they are still not elongated enough.While you can't actually shoot anything down, you can at least try to put some lead on target. Right now I have horizontal and vertical convergance set at approx. 300 yards (which is the average of the two distances given on an actual P-47 convergance chart I scrounged on the net).I have tied the effects into the logo lights and have a C gauge that kicks in the gun sound when the logo lights are on. Looks pretty cool at night from spot view with the guns ablaze....

Guest odog

hey air, not that you dont have a full plate already...i had an idea (you may have tried) to get the gun flash to appear in the VC.If im reading right (its late) you are using the logo light as the basis for your effect.did you try to create a LIGHT_LOGO triangle in ?gmax? like a landing light. I would think this would make them visible in the VC much like a landing light.maybe...just trying to cover the bases.good luck, sounds like fun.joe

Guest airhead

Hey Joe,First off, nice job on the 195. Nice piece of freeware if I do say so myself. :) The pooch still gives me a chuckle...Your idea for doing it in gmax isn't a bad one, but I should probably do a better job of explaining the situation.When on the runway, the muzzle flashes show up fine. As soon as I am a few feet off the tarmac (by slew or takeoff), they dissappear. Once in the air, if I move the eyepoint up and left a good way, the right side muzzle flashes magically reappear again. Up and right and the left side muzzle flashes reappear. At first, I figured it had something to do with the distance of the effect origin relative to the eyepoint. Manipulating the origin away from the eyepoint yet keeping the actual effects at the same position relative to the aircraft produced the same result, no flashes. I surmise from this that it isn't the effect origin, but the effect itself. The only thing that contradicts this theory is the VC lighting. You can put them anywhere and they still illuminate. Note though that the VC light is a pure light effect in that it only casts light, no light effects (via bitmap) like a nav or strobe has. My muzzle flash effect does both, casts light (which appears in the VC just fine) and has bitmap effects (about 4 emitters per gun for flash plus 2 emitters for shell ejections). Anyway, I still have a few more tricks to try before giving up on the VC flashes, but I am beginning to run out of options. Either way, it still looks pretty cool from the spot view, and it is a bit of a novelty so I won't be too upset if I can't get everything as I would like. As is usually the case with in dealing with MSFS, compromises must be made at times. This may be one of those times......