Sign in to follow this  
Guest flightmike1

Question about Alpha images in XML gauges?????

Guest sphing

Hello,How does one make a bmp for use in an XML gauge that uses the alpha channel feature? (i.e. like the 747 Standby Attitude Ind.)Is there a tutorial for doing this?I've downloaded DXTBmp, have exported a DXT3 w/ Alpha, but it will not work in FS. Instead of getting the desired shadow effect I get no effect, as if the alpha image was not even there.How exactly do I create the proper bmp formated file with an alpha channel?How exactly does the XML code need to be setup for this?Thanks,John

Guest flightmike1

I would also like to know a bit more about alphas channels in panel design.

Guest bartels

The proper format of an alpha bitmap for XML gauges (and C's by the way) is a "normal" bitmap, e.g. greyscale. The "alpha" command in XML has NOTHING to do with alpha channels in bitmaps, no special bitmap formats needed. I'm sure I wrote that here or at flightsim.com some times already. The alpha command in XML is an additional bitmap placed on top of other elements, where the transparency is approximated between the RGB(0,0,0) and RGB(1,1,1) parts of the alpha bitmap as far as I know. All I can suggest is, to check out the default gauges, which show alpha tricks on transpareny and maybe reflectivity. Check the syntax in XML and check exactly the colors of the alpha layer bitmaps of the default gauges with alpha effects.Arne Bartels

Guest flightmike1

Ok, I was hoping it was possible to use 32-bit bitmaps but obviously not, so the only way to do it is with an extra 'mask' bitmap?

Guest sphing

Arne,I've tried loading the 747 alpha bmp into DXTBmp and it definately has an alpha channel. However, I get a warning msg that says: "This is not a 16 bit extended format image"Once loaded this is what you see in the editor.(the image in the upper right is the alpha)I'm stumped as to the exact format of the 747 alpha image.Question.... The "alpha" flag in XML does what?Johnhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/54741.jpg

Guest sphing

OK....I think I did it on my own.... yeh!here is a pic for now and I'll put together a brief tutorial on how I did it tommorow. (...now i'm going to bed)The test shot is crude, but demostrates that I did it.Thanks,Johnhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/54747.jpg

Guest flightmike1

Great dude, looking forward.

Guest Eugen

You can use the imagetool.exe which is located under "C:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesFS2002gmaxFlightsimgamepacksFlightSim".I think this tool also is included in the fs2002 SDK but I am not sure.brgdsEugen

Guest bartels

Hm it looks you are right, I seem to be fooled by the fact that my "normal" paint programs never complained loading the alpha bitmaps of the XML gauges. They show nothing but white with the texture bitmaps in the aircraft/*/texture.? folders.Now I repainted the Analog_Attitude_Alpha.bmp with a "normal" paint program and the stndby attitude is completely black.Sorry for the confusion.Arne

Guest flightmike1

Been using it since the day FS2002 came out for repainting, its one of the best use vs. size programs there are :(.