Sign in to follow this  
Cessnaflyer

Diesel aircraft power plants.

Guest AVNTech

What are the various GA aircraft that have or presently use diesel engines? I know the Maule is supposed to be available with this option, are there any others?

Guest AVNTech

Thanks, I wasn't aware that Diamond was an Austrian company, I thought they were in Calgary Ab. Is there any FS aircraft modeled on diesel's?

Guest fullstoplanding

I believe they have a factory in London, Ontario. I don't know if there are any FS aircraft modeled on diesels. It might be a good idea, though, to post this question on the FS9 or FSX forum.--Roger

Guest AVNTech

Thanks, I posted in the FS9 forum. Cheers.

There is the option on Cessna 172's. As you mentioned the Maule will have one soon.The only thing I dislike about the diesels is that it is a to be replaced time and not a to be overhauled time. Engine replacement I think negates the savings on using a lower GPH and cheaper fuel.

Guest AVNTech

Just found an article in the Nov 07 issue of "Plane and Pilot Magazine" planeandpilotmag.com on the Maule M-9-230 with the SMA SR305-230 4 cyl 4 stroke turbo diesel. This thing will have full FADEC eng control. No mixture or prop levers, just a power lever! The take off/climb setting will be 90" map!!!!! The writer doesnt mention any where about an engine replacement vice overhaul requirement. Thats a very big issue if its true.

Guest AVNTech

The SMA web site is describing a 3000 TBO. If they meant TBR, at 42,000 usd a pop, thats a whole different scenario. What would the average overhaul cost, if there is an engine to compare to?

I'm not sure but if you are lucky and have a solid engine it will be significantly less then that.