Sign in to follow this  
JSACKS

Mel Ott's Passing

I don't know this for a fact, but am sure that Rob has done, or will do, exactly that. :)

Guest psousa

I'm deeply sorry to read about Mel's passing. Back in the days I was entering FSim Mel run a very inspiring column and articles using Enrico's Project Magenta Gauges. I remember reading it all more than once and thinking about how talented that pilot should have been. He was surely an inspiration for the Fs developers.My condolences to the family,Pedro SousaLevel-D Developer

Guest ndblaikie

The stories and points of humor he came up with should have been made into a book! Legendary some of them.It was a pleasure and a true honor talking with you on the flight sim forums over the years. You always had a kind word and time for everyone.Flightplan filed, god speed, no restrictions cleared to the stars, climb and maintain eternity.Rest in Peace and condolences to your family**This entire thread should be printed and sent to his family**

Guest cfh2k3

First of all,Thank you Tom for posting this notice so "fair weather" simmers like me who "just happen" to take a glance at sim sites now & then find out about Mel!I remember a few years ago when I was spending a whole lot more hours simming. Mel was a real gentleman when responding to my questions. It was exciting to me to be able to converse with a retired 747 captain!He gave a real boost to flight simming.Thoughts and prayers for his family,Cliff (55)(KPDX)

Thanks Tom. Putting this notice on the main page was very kind. I placed two postings in the FS9 and FSX forums but this is much better. We had gotten the notice of Mel's passing from Hans van Wyke on the FSX BETA site two days ago.I guess I've been sort of shocked since then otherwise I would have posted sooner. I knew Mel from the old Compuserve days and of course more modern times. Never was there a more kind gentle man with such enthusiam for flying and flight sim.I'm glad we have this opportunity to say goodbye - each in our own way. A very large hole has been made in our community. So long partner - have a great flight.FrankPS I wonder what kind of flight sim cockpits they have in the great beyond. Surely God is a pilot.

Guest zzmikezz

God is at least a Copilot per the legendary 1943? book by Flying Tiger squadron member Robert C. Scott. (I think that's the name.)

Words can never explain my true feelings on this terrible loss, my heartfelt wishes for the people that are left behind that they may find the strength to cope with their loss.May you rest in peace Mel

Guest BlueRidgeDx

I'm not the most eloquent guy on the planet, so I'll keep it short...I had the distinct pleasure of interacting with Mel during the FSX Beta, but one conversation we had will stay with me forever:In the newsgroups, Mel posted a wonderful picture of himself with his son (also an airline pilot) in the cockpit a 747. Both were beaming, and it was obvious how proud Mel was of his son.It reminded me instantly of my father, who always took me with him the squadron and provided me with countless opportunities to sit in F-4's, ride around the flightline in the "breadtruck", try my hand at the flight simulators, or watch from the hold short line as C-141's, KC-135's, and C-130's beat up the pattern.My father was my hero.He passed suddenly almost 10 years ago. I was 18 then, and I had all the time in the world to get to know him, or so I thought. I have so many questions now, things I never thought to ask, or things I figured we'd get around to discussing "some day".I don't have any pictures of my dad and I sharing the cockpit. But I can't tell you how happy I am that Mel's son does. I wrote an e-mail thanking him for sharing that picture, and I told him of the memories it conjured. We enjoyed a conversation about aviation, his son, and of my dad. When it was done, I vowed that if I ever made it back central Florida, the beer was on me.My hope is that everyone will be able to focus on celebrating Mel's life rather than dwelling on his death. I'll be having that drink now. So Mel, I wish you clear skies, tailwinds and godspeed.Nick Landolfi

Guest DreamFleet

I believe that Mel was the youngest-ever captain (727) that NWA ever had, at age 24 or so. Of course, that was many years ago.I met Mel at Microwings back in 2000, and later spoke with him at length on the phone about the 747. He even helped me with some details on the 707 panel I did for FS98. He was a giant, an icon; one of the best.After 9-11, Mel sort of departed the FS scene, and I always wondered what was up with him, and that was as recent as a week ago.I read the news of his death right after it was posted here. I wanted to post something here, but just could not, until now.I can't believe he was only 65. I lost my uncle in August at 74, and a good friend of mine last month at 69. The loss of both finally convinced me to give up smoking. I recalled always meeting up with Mel outside at the Microwings conference as we "puffed" away. That was the very some hotel / venue that I was at this past November for the MS DevCon and Avsim Conference. There, I was still outside puffing away, along with Allensworth, Kirkland, and a bunch of other "big names" in FS.Anyway, what can ya' do?I don't know what killed Mel, but I do not think the smoking helped.Mel, God bless you and God speed. You are one of the best, and the world is a lesser place due to your departure.No doubt I'll see you on the other side some day. :)Regards,http://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/F...R_FORUM_LOU.jpg

with sadness I read the message of Mel's passing.I met him at the Microwings convention in Orlando, and before through compuserve. One of the 'orginals' and always ready to answer any question I had or other had. I will miss him

Like others I was really saddened to hear of Mel's passing and angry and upset at the cause, no one deserves that sort of bad hand deal.:-( I also remember Cap'n Tarmack from Compuserve days and enjoyed his postings, both helpful and humorous. I'm sure he helped a lot of virtual 'Queen of the Skies' pilots get to grips with the PSS 747; IIRC that was my first 3rd party aircraft.I wonder how many simmers he made envious with his cockpit :-), a truely awsome set up.I had not seen any postings from Mel for quite a while and assumed he had just dropped out of flight simming, never realising he was so ill.Like a lot in this hobby he was willing to share his passion with others and will be sorely missed.I hope that his family and friends can take some comfort from the knowledge that Mel was highly regarded by this community and touched so many lives.RIP Mel, at least you are no longer in pain.

Sad to hear about Mel's passing. Way too young. I turn 65 this May. I will always remember the conversations I had with Mel regarding his days with NWA. Being from Mn. and moving to Fl. much like Mel, his stories of the people we met were great. I will always remember that great photo of him on his boat. Does anyone remember the name of that boat. I imagine "Tarmack"?He will be missed. Bob G.

Gigabyte P67A-UD3-B3 | Intel i-7700k  4.5 Ghz | RTX 3060 | 32GB OCZ DDR3, 1330 | 35" Curved Samsung monitor. | Windows 10 Home Pro Edition Premium | Samsung 1TB SSD | Samsung 1TB SSD |  UTLive/ P3DV5.3/ SF, AS P3D5.3  MSFS 2020.

Oh, dear, I too like many here am shocked and saddened by the passing of The Great One O' The Skies, the Venerable Cap'n Tarmack. I'm sorry to say that when I calculated his age prior to logging on here, my first suspicion was The Big C. For that took my dear old man away from me and our family years ago at a similar age and also from smoking. And my father had been a brain surgeon and GP ! The end of life from illness especially is a sorrowful affair indeed.Dear Mel Ott: I have a 500 page file with emails and assorted tutorial tips from De Man. He taught me to fly an ILS approach in the 747-400 via email and his forum, can you believe it? Yeah, amazing, wot?! He was remarkably responsive , friendly, and enormously generous with his time, sharing his knowledge, his adventures, his marvellously pithy advice about pitch-and-power, "stews" in the galley, and generally beautiful stories about flying the world in great airplanes. He never lost his barnstorming spirit and always attempted to explain that at the end of the day, ye just can't put into words or charts exactly how to land a 747 in technical terms, for he knew you just ride The Great Queen in rather like driving a wonderful sports car or jockeying a beautiful horse on the turf.I'll go through my file in coming days and see what I can pull out that would be of interest although to me frankly it is all of interest. And now that he's gone, I am happy and sad that I have something to remember him by. 'Specially that ILS approach ! Well, I guess he's reached the ultimate landing strip at Celestial Highway Number One.RIP, dear pilot, teacher, and cyber-friend.JS

Guest greenie95125

Wow....Mel and I remained good friends after our Compuserve days. We exchanged emails weekly, many times daily, until this last fall, when our correspondence dropped off considerably. I figured it was probably the holidays coming up and whatnot. Not once did he let on to me that he was ill. Now, I suspect that's when his illness really took hold. Funny thing... other than when we were participating in FS Betas, we rarely discussed Flight Sim. Sure, he'd send me a pic when Rob hooked him up with a new gadget for his cockpit, but that was about it. We pretty much talked about anything... our sat tv and HD, our various vacations, his RV, exchanged jokes, but mainly we discussed baseball, as it's something in which we both shared a deep passion. When baseball season rolled around, we were busy chattin' back and forth! One time I got no less than 6 emails from him during a Red Sox - Yankees game! His Marlins, my Red Sox, whatever team his grandson Tristan was on, and whatever team my son Dustin was on... that's what we loved to talk about. I remember times when the Marlins were blacked out on DirecTV, and he'd drive his RV 2+ hours south to an RV park where he could watch the game off the air! He'd sleep there, and drive back in the morning. Of course Curtis the Wonder Dawg was always with him. The last thing he wrote to me was the 1st week of December... bi*ching about the trades the Marlins just made. He must've been in considerable pain by then, but ole Mel only cared about how the Marlins were gonna do this season. I, and the aviation community (sim and real), lost a good friend last week. I'm sad for that, but he's in a place where his Marlins will always be winners, and his landings, always "greasers"!Clear skies, and God Speed Capt'n Tarmack! You'll be missed!Mike Greenwood"Greenie"