Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ron Freimuth

Flight dynamics - drag couple of questions

Guest SHORT360

Hi,Anyone here who knows how to add drag when gear is down and flaps down?Is there also a way to add specific sounds for the drag of gear and flaps?regardsRoger

Guest SHORT360

I have found the drag scalar setting in aircraft.cfg but not the gear drag. It is so important then usually when holding i.e. 3000 ft before capturing the glide, just setting the gear down on a plane may give you a loss in vertical speed of about -500 at least.Roger

Guest jlwoodward

Roger,In the flaps section of the cfg file there are scalors for pitch and drag. I believe that the drag for gear down is only in the air file. There were some posts about what lines to change, but it was several months ago (something about FSedit erasing the section?). Hopefully someone who knows the answer will post it.For sounds, look in the sound cfg file for any retractable. There are several different sounds available for both gear and flaps. John Woodward

Guest _FSAviator

Greetings Roger,Not much of the flight dynamics can be accessed from the aircraft.cfg. Most of the data are in the air file. You need to obtain a good air file editor and then study the air file. Start by studying REC1101 in the default air files and progress from there.A good place to make your first steps on the long uphill road to air file editing is;http://perso.wanadoo.fr/hsors/FS_Soft/index.htmlEverything you will need is there or is aliased from there.>The sounds are aliased from the sound.cfg. Study several of the defaults. The parts relating to gear and flaps are self explanatory. Just choose a .wav file which you think is suitable, or create one, by manipulating the ones you already have, and then alias it.FSAviator

Guest SHORT360

Thanks both for your answer. I have in the while find the Flaps drag scalar in aircraft.cfg and using Aired.exe I have found the gear drag scalar. Anyhow, I made dramatic changes just to test and still do not notice any change in drag when lowering the gear. As regards the sounds, I havent find any specific command in any sound .cfg file for the noise made by the gear drag. There is a gearup and geardown motors noises, gear bump noise when touching but no genuine MSFS plane has the specific sound heard in the cockpit once the gear is down, just a bit more wind due to the excessive drag.Or do I miss something ??Thanks guys,Roger

Check your *.air file and see if you have Section 1540. If so, it overides the Section 1101 entry. If you are using fs2002, the sections 1539 thru 1546 will cause problems if not tuned correctly. These sections are added by FS2002 and FS2004 FSEdit.It seems MS corrected the problems with these sections in FS2004.W. Sieffert

Guest SHORT360

Thank you W. Sieffert,I did use AAM.exe and found in REC 1540 that there was a gear drag value at 0. I set it at O.O5 and REC 1101 gear drag at 0,23. Now the plane behaves like a real one. When I am lowering the gear I get a speed decrease and a minus pitch. Now I would love to find a way to add more external wind noise at that moment ( when gear lowered). Any suggestions ????I am anyway still struggeling with some sounds problems specific to turboprop as the prop pitch sound and Throttle at idle. How can FS2004 be so messy about that. I understand why Olek Frolov did a new plane from scratch to bypass all those restrictionsRoger

Guest Milton

You may have to resort to a flaps gauge for the wind sound. Many designers seemed to use that technique in 2000/2002.Regarding prop pitch, find the PROPS sections in your sound.cfg file. Ensure you have a parameter for Flags=2 or Flags=4 for each of the Props sections.

Guest SHORT360

Milton,It's what I thought too about the the flaps and gear drag sounds and unfortunately I cant program gau files.As regards the props, I agree with the flag setting, but 99% of all prop aircraft either free or payware have nevertheless wrong sounds as regards the prop handling. The standard sound for the Beech 350 is giving to the plane designer the ridiculous example, i.e. at idle. Turboprop (with reverser) once at idle have a -3

Guest Ron Freimuth

>Thank you W. Sieffert,>>I did use AAM.exe and found in REC 1540 that there was a gear>drag value at 0. I set it at O.O5 and REC 1101 gear drag at>0,23. Now the plane behaves like a real one. When I am>lowering the gear I get a speed decrease and a minus pitch. >..>Roger Most of the REC 1101 values are scaled by 2048. So, Cdg = 0.05 in REC 1540 corresponds to 2048 * 0.05 = 102 in REC 1101. AAM unscales most of the values it displays, so Cdg should also display very close to 0.05 in it. Unless aired.ini is used with AAM, then it should show the same value Aired does. FSEdit for FS9 appears to be improved some over the earlier versions. None set Cdg. If one finds an FSEdit AIR file satisfactory, he can set Cdg to about 0.02 for a start. I also found the new FSEdit set Cm_dt about 5X too high (but, only tried it on one AC). That can be set to more typical values, similar to the value in REC 1101 (no scaling involved). -0.5 to -2.0 pretty much covers the normal range.Ron

Guest SHORT360

Hi Ron,Thanks for your "light" in that field. Since I do look closer on the Air files of some planes I understand a bit more why they flight so badly.I noticed for instance that there is a value in REC 1511 ( Propeller reversing)"Idle Blade Angle". This value is by default set to 1 for turboprop aircrafts. That's simply wrong. I dont know every turboprops, but the major of them (ATR-DASH-SHORT-SAAB) have a blade angle coming back to -3

Guest Ron Freimuth

>Hi Ron,>>I noticed for instance that there is a value in REC 1511 (>Propeller reversing)>"Idle Blade Angle". This value is by default set to 1 for>turboprop aircrafts. That's simply wrong. I dont know every>turboprops, but the major of them (ATR-DASH-SHORT-SAAB) have a>blade angle coming back to> -3

Guest SHORT360

>>However, that doesn't mean setting -1 deg or -3 deg in aircraft.cfg >>(AIR file entries are no longer used for these settings) generates >>the correct effect. One might have to modify the real angles a bit.Believe me, I changed that value in the air REC 1511 and not in aircraft.cfg file and it really works fine now. Cant explain. Roger

Guest Ron Freimuth

>>>However, that doesn't mean setting -1 deg or -3 deg in>aircraft.cfg >>(AIR file entries are no longer used for these>settings) generates >>the correct effect. One might have to>modify the real angles a bit.>>Believe me, I changed that value in the air REC 1511 and not>in aircraft.cfg file and it really works fine now. Cant>explain. >Roger Good to know. At times AIR file entries are not imported correctly to aircraft.cfg. Or those in the AIR file don't work but those in the AIR file still do. I tend to set the same values in both files to be sure. Further, if one removes the value after the '=' in aircraft.cfg and reloads an AC in FS the AIR file value (if it exists) should be set in the aircraft.cfg line. Assuming things work as they should.Ron

Guest Douglas K

>Turboprop (with reverser) once at idle have a -3