Sign in to follow this  
Guest Karl R Pettersen

Fx file problems

Guest Karl R Pettersen

HiI played around like mad yesternight with the effect system and found a couple of strange shortcomings. First, no matter how I tried editing the rotation values, and/or HPB values, I was not able to align the effect (display a static texture for testing) with the dihedral of the wings. I ended up in a gimbal lock (3D side effect of HPB angles, singularity thing) situation where changes to bank and heading produced the same rotation.1) Does anyone know a way to overcome this HPB problem?Although the biggest problem was that the texture (4444 with alpha and Extended1 types tried) would not "shade" the aircraft when looking from virtual cockpit. Also there was display problems at certain angles when seen from outside - turned off at low vieweing angles. I tried both blending modes and back and forth with "everything else", but it would only make a difference to the ground, not the airplane.2) Does anyone know how to get the aircraft affected by an effectfile when viewed from virtual cockpit. Say, additional paint on the wings as an example.This was tried on a default aircraft btw (Baron).

Guest InBetween

Greetings:Not sure what you are trying to do, so will use pixfor example/discussion:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/61380.jpgAbove is a wing vapor cloud effect...one file withthree "emitter" sections, each with different xyz"offset" values to adjust the "fit" of the effect to the wing. It is a "static" effect type, a "port"file and a "starboard" file. Uses one of the extra light types and is controled by XML gauge reading"G" force.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/61381.jpgSame effect from VC view...Is this the kind of effect display you want to do?JR

Guest Karl R Pettersen

Well, it is visible from virtual cockpit, but it doesn't shade the virtual cockpit. In your case, making the smoke black and moving it a little forward wouldn't have affected the wing, only the terrain/sky background.My attempt was creating visible ice on the wing through the use of effects. Works for windshield ice on the baron, since only terrain/sky is visible (no "cowl"), but not wing ice since I'm not able to "lay it on top" of the virtual cockpit wing. Just want to know if this is a limitation to the system or simply a limitation to my own (in)capabilities ;)

Guest InBetween

Greetings,I think it is a Sim limitation; when trying to place an effectthat is meant to be visible from the VC, the effect doesn'tappear when the aircraft paint is in the background.An example is the MAAM BT B25, which has exhaust flames inspot view, but not in VC view...I tried every thing I could think of, to no avail. The only flame that was visible fromthe VC was one on top of the nacelle that had sky as itsbackground...What about making the ice part of the model, activated bysomething like "tailhook" controlled by a gauge readingambient conditions?JR

Guest Karl R Pettersen

Yeah, we used cowlflap position to display visible wing ice on the 421B (abandoned, sadly, due to lack of model) on FS2002. Unfortunately since I'm not capable (lack of time I guess) to play with gmax, I'm stuck with default models. My Baron is now equipped with working boots and ice "bang sounds", I was just hoping to get a visible effect as well - making the ice light more useful than just a fancy light effect. Maybe in FS12? :(Ok, so FS9 has yet another shortcoming, now in the effects rendering system. How sad... Giving up mode initiated :( Microsoft, are you patching yet? :)

Guest ptwaugh

I have an idea on how this might be solved.Please email me at to discuss.