Sign in to follow this  
Guest Karl R Pettersen

Confusion about A/P modes...

Hey all,I'm a little confused about how A/P modes work in general, which is making building an A/P gauge even harder than it needs to be:)I assume AP_APP_HOLD will track a GS and localizer, and I've tested it and it seems to be working fine, but why won't AP_NAV1_HOLD capture a localizer nearby? It doesn't seem to do anything that I can tell, and yes Nav1 was tuned into a local VOR.1) What is the difference between AP_LOC_HOLD, AP_NAV1_HOLD, and AP_APP_HOLD? I can't seem to make the A/P fly directly to a VOR with any of those options.2)What is the difference between AP_WING_LEVELER_ON and AP AP_ATT_HOLD_ON? 3) What is the difference between the AP_XX events and the AP_PANEL_XX events of the same name?Surprisingly I am able to get the A/P to hold a flight path angle (pitch angle only, which is exactly what I want) if I turn on AP_ATT_HOLD on and then manually turn off AP_WING_LEVELER, but there does not seem to be a way to simply turn on pitch angle, leaving wing leveler alone?Thanks in advance!--Jon

Guest RProbst

>1) What is the difference between AP_LOC_HOLD, AP_NAV1_HOLD,>and AP_APP_HOLD? I can't seem to make the A/P fly directly to>a VOR with any of those options.Loc-hold will hold the localizer and also a vor radial as long as you are on it. That's the one you probably want to use. I also use it for GPS. Nav1-hold worked in FS2000 but doesn't do anything for me in the newer versions. You might have to use it in combination with other events (wing-leveler maybe?) to get it to work. >2)What is the difference between AP_WING_LEVELER_ON and AP>AP_ATT_HOLD_ON? It depends on which version FS you are using, but it's been my experience that att_hold works in pitch only the first time you use it. I have never got it to work properly, and believe me I've tried. >3) What is the difference between the AP_XX events and the>AP_PANEL_XX events of the same name?The panel_xx events refer to the autopilot functions that are manually adjustable, such as the altitude, heading, or v/s readouts on the default autopilots.

Ah thanks so much. That clears up alot. I just can't understand why Nav1 Hold hasn't been working, since it's working in other aircraft gauges. I'll try Loc hold...FWIW, I have been succesful in getting ATT hold to work in pitch only, by first engaging ATT hold then disengaging wing leveler. Works every time for me.--Jon

Guest Karl R Pettersen

Although I have not done much autopilot "work", you should consult the FS9 SDK on aircraft container. It has info on how autopilot works in relation to aircraft.cfg parameters, but not much related to xml gaugecode. Probably useful anyway.Btw; this same SDK uses the same bit-"range" for surface sounds, but a lot more bits are available and works quite nice. Makes it possible to add sounds for Macadam runway surface, planks and whatever. SDK doesn't cover this, this part seems like a straight copy from the FS2002 SDK.