Sign in to follow this  
n4gix

3 New FS2004 SDKs Released 20-Feb-2004

Guest jetBlue_83

Well well well!!! Looks like we've got some new toys to play with!

Guest Slacktide

>Well well well!!! Looks like we've got some new toys to play>with!Do we? I'm not so sure. The FX SDK appears to be identical to the 2002 version. I just checked, there are precisely TWO sentences that are different between the SDKs, and neither one of them is anything technical. They still claim to have certain features implemented which flat out do not work. (re controlling the visibility of FX from different observer positions using the [Properties] section) Exactly what about this SDK took seven months to release?Dan

Guest Milton

OTOH, the Gmax stuff is different and contains new things such as animated textures and rain effects on the VC windshield. All new document format and structure. Still missing the MakeMdl SDK however.The VC windshield rain effects animation looks simple enough. I compiled one of my aircraft okay. The specular levels appear higher than what I got through Middleman/MdlCommander. All my _T textures were lightly transparent, all my chrome parts were missing. I suspect that the black primary and black alphas made the chrome transparent. Easy way to reduce poly's and weight. lol However, the compile added 64K to my .mdl size, probably from the XML code added. Also, if you get an error message during compile referring to Missing MSXML4.DLL, copy the 3 dll's by that name (and suffixes) from the FS9 folder and paste into the Gmax Plugins folder that contains the new Makemdl.EXE. The FsModelExp.DLE is included. That should please a few people. ;-)

Guest Milton

EDIT: Update ... my transparency issue above was that the global HasReflectMap Option was off as was HasLightMap. However, the light maps work okay with that off. Secondly, I put Middleman and MdlCommander in the Export path and it worked fine. I turned on the typical options but turned off Fix Specular. The specular highlites work fine. Absolute love the dynamic shine in the VC too. :-)

Since I did manage to get the new export module working, I'm wondering what purpose is served by keeping the "old" version installed.In spite of following directions "to the letter," I don't get an option to choose the FS2k2 version anyway... :(However, as Milton reported, MM and MC work just fine with the new stuff. A model that previously would fail to export on my development computer (but would export on my FS flightstation under XP) will now export just fine. I got an error about the XML stuff not being found on my second attempt to export a model, but not the first try?

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest acrored

Hey Bill, if u renamed the original makemdl.exe u have to rename the makemdl.parts.xlm on the plugin folder too, example, if u renamed makemdl.exe like "makem.exe" u have to rename the makemdl.parts.xlm to "makem.parts.xlm, this way u avoid that xlm error, hope this help and take care.

>Hey Bill, if u renamed the original makemdl.exe u have to>rename the makemdl.parts.xlm on the plugin folder too,>example, if u renamed makemdl.exe like "makem.exe" u have to>rename the makemdl.parts.xlm to "makem.parts.xlm, this way u>avoid that xlm error, hope this help and take care.Of course I do! What a moron I am... :) I didn't even think of that...Actually, since I also have ModelCommander, makemdl.exe is renamed mkmdl.exe, so I'll rename makemdl.parts.xml to mkmdl.exe and it should work.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator