Sign in to follow this  
badderjet

Animate any part according to any FS9 Variable!!

Thanks to the new FS9 MakeMDL. This has set my mind reeling with possibilities!I'm sure many others have figured this out too, but I thought I'd share the technique, below is a rather sketchy rundown:The recently released FS9 gmax SDK comes with a new version of MakeMDL. This new MakeMDL is accompanied by a file named "makemdl.parts.xml", and both files are installed into your gmaxplugins folder. If you open "makemdl.parts.xml" you'll see the familiar XML code, very similar to the code found in FS XML gauges.This file contains coding for all the new gmax tags. The coding for each gmax tag is contained within the XML tags . The name you should give your gmax part in order to create an animation in FS2004 is contained within the XML tags .But, you can also add your own XML code to this file in order to animate any 3D part according to any FS9 variable. The name you put between the tags is what you name your gmax part, and the code you write below the tags will control the conditions which animate the part. I won't go into the actual XML code as it's fairly self explanatory if you know the XML gauge format.Once you've written the new XML animation code, save the XML file and go into gmax, and name the part you want animated with the name you wrote between the XML tags. Now compile your gmax model with the FS9 MakeMDL. The code you wrote in makemdl.parts.xml will now be part of your aircraft's MDL file. Open up FS2004 and if you wrote the code properly, your 3D part will animate according to the rules you specified!Animation possiblities are now almost limitless! Yippee!Cheers,Sean MoloneyRealAir Simulations

That is one heck of a find !!! Imagine a big bird, push the ground call button (L:Var), suddenly through keyframes an APU truck pulls up, the servicer walks out, hooks up power, AC etc..You will not have power til then (L:Var). Stairs truck pulls up, people walk up the stairs etc... The whole nine yards!!!! Unfortunately, it looks like the scenery export does not support the variables read and is limited to loops. I hope some advanced designers could work around this and make it read from aircraft variables. That would be icing on the cake.FS2002 MS open up a can of worms with XML. For FS2004 they've opened up a whole can of whoop-a%% !!! Thank you MS !!!Regards,RomanGREEN BAY PACKERS][/i :-ukliam :-beerchug

20AUG21_Avsim_Sig.png?dl=1  FS RTWR   SHRS F-111   JoinFS   Little Navmap 

Guest Trevor de S

Reading the parts.xml file I note:"L:Variables: Global and shared by both 2d and VC. "I take this to mean we can now define a local variable specific to a particular aircraft panel and its associated .mdl file which can be used to display on a gauge and to control the animation of parts in the visual model.Do others read it to mean this or has anyone yet tried it out to be able to confirm or deny this.Trevor

Guest flightmike1

Do models exported with the FS9 version of makemdl actually work with FS2002? I doubt this but if so has anyone tried this method in FS2002.

Guest Karl R Pettersen

Can you use L:Variables also, or is it "limited" to A:Variables (and other builtin variables)? Does this work also for controlling scenery animation?I find it a bit strange that no "generic" variables are assigned for this and also fro effect toggling. Being limited to one smoke system (AFAIK) is bad, as using light circuits "disturbs" the light state variable (nice for adding a generic switch sound where code can't be accessed, such as xml-animated switches in the modelfile).

Guest Trevor de S

Karl,If you read the Makemdl.parts.xml file contained in the SDK it certainly uses both A: and L: variables and as I indicated in my post the comments section implies that the L: variables are shared with the VC and 2D panels.I would think that it may be possible to use E: (environment) and L: variables in controlling scenery animation. I don't play with scenery these days so will leave that to someone else to check out.Trevor

I can confirm that it is possible to communicate with L: variables written in makemdl.parts.xml and compliled with the FS9 MakeMDL via XML gauges. So custom animations can be easily contolled by standard XML gauges in many more ways than previously possible... This also means custom animations and 3D clickable gauges can control XML gauge functions.I've never tried my hand at scenery design so I don't know how these techiques will work with scenery. I haven't tried the FS9 MakeMDL with FS2002 either, but I'd bet it doesn't work.Cheers,Sean MoloneyRealAir Simulations

Guest fturner

Actually, if you guys check out the SGA DC10-30 we just released, thats how alot of the new animations are done. Eric's A300 also has coding in it to.I wrote a VB program 2 months ago that allows me to create and insert XML code into MDL files and man can I tell you the animation effects that can be achieved will blow your mind away.........and bring a powerhouse of a computer to its knees LOL.The xml coding will not work in FS2002.RegardsFraserSGA

>I've never tried my hand at scenery design so I don't know how>these techiques will work with scenery. I haven't tried the>FS9 MakeMDL with FS2002 either, but I'd bet it doesn't work.No, the XML stuff is ignored in FS2k2, since it doesn't know what to do with it...However, the .mdl is fully "flyable" and otherwise compatible with FS2k2...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guys, What about communication with C++ variables? Is that possible? I am trying, but without success. I wish that some one could help me out.Sincerely,Tiberiu Brasov

> What about communication with C++ variables? Is that>possible? I am trying, but without success. I wish that some>one could help me out.AFAIK, there is no way at this time to share variables between XML and C.Of course, C can control variables within FSk2 and FS9, as you probably know.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Bill, I was thinking of a throttle or a switch that does not have a token variable in FS. Like if I do a C gauge with an int testswitch. And to have the VC moce that switch as it does with the custom variables. This is possible with L: variables, but I want to know if the same thing can be accomplished with C custom variables.Sincerely,Tiberiu Brasov

Guest JeanLuc_

Let's hope the upcoming panel sdk will allow to do just that!

Exactly,And just asking (really no XML guy here), does L: variable mean a custom variable, i. e. no TokenVar?Thanks people,Etienne