Sign in to follow this  
n4gix

K Var to capture Glideslope?

I can't seem to find the right K Var to set a glideslope hold on the AP.(>K:AP_APP_HOLD_ON) holds the ILS, but not the GS(>K:AP_LOC_HOLD_ON) Seems to do the same thing as APP hold??There is an A var for Glideslope which gets set when K:AP_APP_HOLD_ON is set, and setting K:AP_LOC_HOLD_ON sets another A Var for Approach hold. But there is no indication that the AP is actually holding the GS and none of the combinations I've tried result in a loc/gs hold.Anyone know how to get AP to autoland?There's also an autoland_available= 1 setting in the [autopilot] section of the .cfg file on some aircraft. How/what does this refer to?Thanks,Jon

>I can't seem to find the right K Var to set a glideslope hold>on the AP.>>(>K:AP_APP_HOLD_ON) holds the ILS, but not the GS>(>K:AP_LOC_HOLD_ON) Seems to do the same thing as APP hold??You cannot "set a glideslope hold on the AP." If there is a GS available, toggling on the Approach Hold will automatically hold to the GS for you.They are, for all intents and purposes, the same thing. A "localizer" is a VOR and also serves as the reference signal for an ILS (Instrument Landing System) at an airport. An ILS will have a localizer and a glideslope transmitter. A full ILS will have the above two plus a DME transmitter.I only use K:AP_APP_HOLD_ON for the autopilot.>>There is an A var for Glideslope which gets set when>K:AP_APP_HOLD_ON is set, and setting K:AP_LOC_HOLD_ON sets>another A Var for Approach hold. But there is no indication>that the AP is actually holding the GS and none of the>combinations I've tried result in a loc/gs hold.The "A variable" flags will be set to 1 whenever there is a positive lock on the localizer and/or glideslope signal. Use them to control the logic for the HSI indicators.>Anyone know how to get AP to autoland?There is no such thing in FS9 (or FS2k2 for that matter). Instead, you must follow "real world procedures" for Cat I or Cat II approaches. "Autoland" would be a Cat III approach and is not supported in the sim.>There's also an autoland_available= 1 setting in the>[autopilot] section of the .cfg file on some aircraft.>How/what does this refer to?That is included for "backwards compatibility" with FS2000, which did have a pseudo "Autoland" (called "Land Me." It is a useless parameter for FS2k2 or FS9 and will be ignored.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Thanks for clearing that up, Bill.I guess where my confusion comes in, is that my aircraft is not holding a glideslope with approach hold on, while other's appear to do that. Even with identical [autopilot] sections in the .cfg.Do you mean that it is not possible to have the AP hold a localizer and glideslope on a Cat II ILS, or do you mean that Approach Hold *should* be holding both?Thanks again,--Jon

>Do you mean that it is not possible to have the AP hold a>localizer and glideslope on a Cat II ILS, or do you mean that>Approach Hold *should* be holding both?If there is a valid localizer signal AND there is a valid glideslope signal, THEN the App Hold should capture and track BOTH... :)I've never had a problem with APP HOLD working properly.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator