Sign in to follow this  
Guest bartels

Fs2004 SDK: Panel and Gauge Released

For .xml tweakers nothing particularly new.. Was hoping for vector type drawing and C:data string (GPS) goodies. x( *:-* :-grr Just maybe it will be updated like some of the others. :-hmmmRegards,Romanhttp://home.new.rr.com/spokes2112/images/Image2.gif

20AUG21_Avsim_Sig.png?dl=1  FS RTWR   SHRS F-111   JoinFS   Little Navmap 

I am surprised by the Token Variables. The list is exactly the same as the FS2002 list of variables.In the Event IDs, some of them are used to manipulate the ADF2 (not available in FS2002) but there is NO variable about ADF2.Strange, isn't it?Eric

>I am surprised by the Token Variables. The list is exactly>the same as the FS2002 list of variables.>In the Event IDs, some of them are used to manipulate the ADF2>(not available in FS2002) but there is NO variable about>ADF2.>Strange, isn't it?Is this SDK a joke? Today is St. Patrick's day, not April Fool's Day!NOTE: Save paper! Aside from a global replacement of 2002 with 2004, and the addition of two Appendix sections, the "manual" is word-for-word identical with the 2002 SDK manual!So, simply print out the last two Appendix sections and insert them into your existing manual... :)And yes Eric, this is indeed strange! Notice that while all the Key_Events have been updated, none of the corresponding TokenElement variables have been updated!So, while we can - for example - use KEY_TOGGLE_CABIN_LIGHTS, we have no access to READ the CABIN LIGHTS bool state! CABIN LIGHTS is listed in the "Parameters.doc" but is noticably absent from the TokenVar.doc listing, as well as the gauges.h file... :(OTOH, the new capabilities using the TrafficInfo.doc is probably getting your blood pumping! :) Imagine, TCAS the "easy way..." :)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

You're absolutely right.as you say, the Traffic Info document catched my attention, but I can tell you it is not the "easy way"... Doing the same with FSUIPC is much easier (from a development perspective).Eric

>You're absolutely right.>as you say, the Traffic Info document catched my attention,>but I can tell you it is not the "easy way"... Doing the same>with FSUIPC is much easier (from a development perspective).That's why I put "easy way" in quotes! :) OTOH, it might contain (I haven't look that closely) some functionality that's not available through FSUIPC, plus by not depending on FSUIPC, it might be easier on the end user...I also noticed that they've re-grouped the Key_Event and TokenVar lists according to usage. That was a nice touch, as well as listing the actual XML key_event tags needed so the XML folks don't have to "guess" at the correct syntax... :)

Fr. Bill    

Hi,This works as an example for the adf2:%((A:Adf active frequency:2, KHz))%!06.1f!.And (>K:TOGGLE_CABIN_LIGHTS) works ok with (A:LIGHT CABIN,bool).JanNot so "Procul Negotiis"

Guest ba747heavy

I was disappointed with the SDK. But I guess I should have expected it.

Guest Karl R Pettersen

I (for one?) am very happy with it. Finally parameters.doc are listed with complete (?) explanations on what the result contains - bool, enum, and what the anum actually holds. No more guessing! Thanks Microsoft. Light Cabin is listed in the parameters.doc, not sure if directly translatable to C though. Maybe C is in the process of being phased out? Too much (too bad?) payware, even for MS :DEventID's seem better setup now, with some explanations on the really weird stuff. I'm really looking forward to getting home today and add some fuel :) Maybe it works afterall...The Appendixes in Panels SDK.doc are truly great! Finally the 8 bit alpha is explained! I've been using a 32 bit version (really bad one :)) that only sortof works for shadowing, not highlighting. Embedded luminous maps? That's a new one. Time to get rid of all my "ring" bitmaps - they are plenty. The Mask Image info will be very useful to most that haven't already spent hours experimenting with this stuff :)I'm not getting too much useful information out of the .xdr and .dtd files (inc dir) though. How to use/read these? Currently I'm forced to experiment to find out what tags supports what subtags (can't rotate an alpha image?) I'm using ultraedit as my xml editing tool, because of xml highlighting, indentation, bracket matching, column edit, multiple file search and replace with regular expression support etc etc. Any ways of using these files with ultraedit?First impression verdict (xml-focused): Very well done Microsoft.One think I don't understand though - why are there failure checks, i.e. fuel gauge, available, but the actual failure cannot be triggered from either xml nor the FS9 gui? Brake failures can only be set through xml. Maybe be static port failure finally works... Hmm... then again :It's not a perfect world yet, but I think we're (they're) getting closer.

Guest _ak

>as you say, the Traffic Info document catched my attention,>but I can tell you it is not the "easy way"... Doing the same>with FSUIPC is much easier (from a development perspective).>Do you remember, FSUIPC is payware now?Traffic info helps me avoid FSUIPC at all.

>Hi,>>This works as an example for the adf2:>%((A:Adf active frequency:2, KHz))%!06.1f!.>>And (>K:TOGGLE_CABIN_LIGHTS) works ok with (A:LIGHT>CABIN,bool).Jan, I said that the token was available for XML...It is NOT available for C programmers; in fact, most of the "new stuff" isn't available...What good is having a KEY_event if there's no access to the corresponding state variable?

Fr. Bill    

FWIW, it may not be directly available, but you can read FS memory to get the state of all the lights. ;-)

>FWIW, it may not be directly available, but you can read FS>memory to get the state of all the lights. ;-) Sure, if you happen to have your handy-dandy Tom Swift Pointer Address book in your hip pocket! :)

Fr. Bill    

Guest Karl R Pettersen

Maybe "Light States" is connected to cabin lights, and it's possible to evaluate one of the bits to get what you need?In any event, is there *really* a need for 10 different light systems on the aircraft? Is cabin light special?Edit: Oh, and I modified some gauges last night, and the 8bit-with-alpha conversion for shadows and highlights worked very well. Needed some experimenting though, but the end result looked _very_ nice :)