Sign in to follow this  
Guest bartels

Fs2004 SDK: Panel and Gauge Released

>In any event, is there *really* a need for 10 different light>systems on the aircraft? Is cabin light special?I use the "cabin lights" to turn on/off lights in the virtual cabin... :) I simply used a custom variable to control the switch icons. The .fx type 10 responds to the key_toggle_cabin_lights event.But, I simply picked that particular token as one example of many "new key-events that do NOT have corresponding tokens in the gauges.h file, making them a bit of a problem to use for C gauge programming. It would have been nice if MS had implemented a scheme to share "broadcast variables" between C and XML gauges... :)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest flightmike1

Nope, "This document assumes familiarity with how to write a gauge in C++ using the techniques described in the Flight Simulator Panel SDK."

Guest bartels

It might be they have: there are some new functions in the PANELS structure, e.g. get/set_named_variable_.. ,execute_calculator_code.. . I haven't experimented yet, tough.Arne Bartels

>Nope, "This document assumes familiarity with how to write a>gauge in C++ using the techniques described in the Flight>Simulator Panel SDK."To whom is that remark addressed? I don't recall anything in this thread that it could possibly relate to...Is there some relevance or context, or is it simply some vague form of put down?

Fr. Bill    

>It might be they have: there are some new functions in the>PANELS structure, e.g. get/set_named_variable_..>,execute_calculator_code.. . I haven't experimented yet,>tough.Well, I suppose I need to sit down with a tall glass of iced tea and do a bit of study in the gauges.h file to see what else turns up "new." I didn't notice a whole lot on the first readthrough... :)

Fr. Bill    

>Nope, "This document assumes familiarity with how to write a>gauge in C++ using the techniques described in the Flight>Simulator Panel SDK.""Important: The information included in this document is intended as a guide for programmers. It assumes that you are familiar with aviation terminology and technology, that you have an understanding of the C programming language, and that you are familiar with XML"And that is from the panels and gauges SDK, so should I also assume that if I am not familiar with C AND XML that the information contain therein is not useful to me?I suppose it's my fault for asking a stupid question in the first place, since neither the parameters nor event docs contained any new disclosures beyond GPS which might be related to traffic, but cut me some slack here.P.S. Thanks Bill--Jon

Guest bartels

You need C and XML if you want to use ALL of the SDK, it is of course sufficient to understand either C or XML to use the related parts, while most of the info is actually for C.Additionaly I want to say that there was not much need of change between Fs2002 and FS9 SDKs. The general approach to programming hasn't changed, the new elements in XML gauges (macros,C: variables,A:var:1 syntax) can be easily seen from the standard gauges, the changed/added events and variables are in the associated documents... So a real change was not needed. But there are some extra appendices, for example.Of course there are some nowhere else mentioned extra function which look like XML<->C exchange stuff in the gauges.h. A bit dissapointing maybe, but I doubt that there won't be enough brainpower here in the forum to figure out their usage sooner or later.Arne Bartels