Sign in to follow this  
Guest Milton

3D bezels for gauges

Has anyone had any luck modeling 3D bezels for gauges in the VC? I have two minor problems...they're not really significant but boy! First, Makemdl seems to be

Guest Fabio Miguez

Hey Danny,The FS8 MakeMDL has a set minimum limit of 4mm between vertices. If anything is closer, it gets welded automatically. Not sure on the FS9 MakeMDL, haven't ran those tests in it yet.

Fabio ...Thanks, that explains what I'm seeing... I guess FS isn't designed to draw this kind of tight panel detail. I'll keep trying I might stumble onto something.CheersDanny

Guest LilSki

Because of the welding issue I gave up on 3d bezels on any kind of GA aircraft. But I have experimented on a 3d gauge with depth to gauges with glass. Attached are a few shots of the experiment. You must turn optimize off to get the glass to display correctly. You will notice on the second shot some welded vertices cause I was trying to see how close they could get. I wish you could turn off weld vertices on the VC as you can in external but you can't as far as I know. Kevin

Guest Milton

Yes, have tried it, and it looked good until you moved away from the panel about 8-10 feet at which point the rendering started eliminating faces.This panel is heavy anyhow and the eye candy was not worth sacrificing the other qualities.Scott did an excellent job on the bezel textures creating a 3D look, and that works for me just fine. :-)