Sign in to follow this  
Guest Stick

Keeping MakeMDL Files w/o Middleman/ModelCmder

Guest Stick

Since there is now a checkable option to "keep files", to keep the .asm files, I have read that you no longer need Middleman or Model Commander to do so.However, there is a trick to doing this as when exporting from GMax, it is not selected by default.How is this done?I ask because I notice that I cannot do anything with XML without eliminating ModelCommander from the loop.StickAuthor of LaunchControl for FShttp://webpages.charter.net/pwaugh/

Guest Firestriker

There has been the option of keeping the *.ASM files since the release of the MakeMDL_SDK containing the Makemdl.exe dated 4/5/2002. The options could be set by modifying the makemdl.cfg file so that the default settings could be overridden with simple on/off switches for the 30 some options. For FS8, the advantage of using Mdlcommander in the export pipe was its ability to write the *.X file from memory to the harddrive manual editing if necessary, mainly specular values. Then with MiddleMan the specular fix was made a little more automatic and the setting of the of the options was also visible. But these were just things to make your life a little simpler. If you understand the ASM language, and how to setup the makemdl.cfg file, neither program is really necessary as you could modify the code there.Now with FS9 and the new fs2004_sdk_gmax_setup, I question if either are needed for any part of the process anymore. Other utilities, like FSregen, don't seem to work either.Here is a sample makemdl.cfg file:[settings]LastDir=C:gmaxgamepacksFS2004ScenerymeshesSaveDir=C:gmaxgamepacksFS2004Sceneryplugins[Options]Debug=0ViewLog=1ViewBGL=0View=0KeepErrorLog=1Keep=1Il=0I8=1In=0I=0TexPage=1SoftMat=0FullMat=1Deffallback=1Specularcanopy=1WeldPoints=1DLL=0Info=0Optimize=0Flatten=0NoAnimate=0HasReflectMap=1HasNightMap=0HasLightMap=0HasDamageMap=0NegateZ=1NoLeftToRight=0SwapBH=0Vis=1Vistest=0Crash=0XML=0You can see a list of the options here:http://www.oregon-coast.net/Tutorials/Make...S90_options.htmLou