Sign in to follow this  
Guest thx1137

Go Arround!!!!!!!!!!!! Dangerous A320 landing

Waaaaaaaaaow!!!Today, on the news...

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

Man he was lucky!! That could have easily been a catastrophe! I wonder how much damage was caused by the wing scrape!! Must not has been too bad as he was able to continue the go around, and land!

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

I saw that. I wonder if A-FLOOR kicked in?RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

News today indicates that there were winds in excess of 155 mph in the area......there was no report of the cross-wind component, but guesstimating from the video it must have been well in excess of the ~30-35 knot limit...My question is, what were they thinking?

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

what they were thinking was probably along the lines of "oh sh* oh sh* oh sh* why does this have to happen to us".Given the extent of the storm I wonder what their dispatchers were thinking when they decided to launch the flight...

One of the worse days I ever had at Beale AFB Tower.A KC-135 from Castle AFB is doing a PAR approach to Beale on a training mission. About 1/2 mile final, the A/C develops a strong "dutch roll". Over threshold, and just prior to touchdown, A/C veers sharply left, and strikes the left wing and outboard engine. A/C actually touches down on the mains, but pilots initiate a go-around. As the A/C goes airborne, we see flames from the wing and outboard engine. Pilot declares emergency, and turns crosswind before departure end. Flames are clearly visible now, and as A/C begins turn to downwind, the A/C stalls, and crashes 1/2 mile from tower. The fireball completely filled my field of vision, I'll never forget that sight.Entire crew lost, 7 souls on board.RIP,bt

Guest CRJ700FO

>News today indicates that there were winds in excess of 155>mph in the area...the winds were NOT 150 mph. the metar at the time of the accident showed them facing about a 38kt gusty x-wind.i guess they forgot landing 102 and to dip the wing low into the wind when they released the crab. then the idiot actually allowed the upwind wing to rise up and get caught by the wind allowing the left wingtip to strike the runway.time for a little refresher in the sim.

The passengers on the left side must have ^%&* themselves.JimCYWG

150 Mph? hahaha, that's a tornado or a cat 5 hurricane. I don't think so, and no offense by the way. Anyway, having flown/flown on airplanes for the last six years of my life, I agree with CRJFO, pilot error big time, infact should have initiated that go around much earlier... definitely would have prevented that wing strike. "What was he thinking?!" for #### sure.Jeff

Jeff

Commercial | Instrument | Multi-Engine Land

AMD 5600X, RTX3070, 32MB RAM, 2TB SSD

and slam the thing onto the runway. Pilot error and ATC wrong clearance as well since the x-wind was way in excess and steady at that (as shown by the 40 deg approach).

Somebody gave out the 100 mph crosswind figure because Brian Williams on the NBC News said the same stupid thing. Definitely must be a bogus number. But it looked pretty hairy! A lot of people on board wet their pants on this one. They even reported that Lufthansa was giving psychological counseling to anybody from the plane that wanted it. Kim

It's amazing just before touchdown when it appears he starts drifting left of center, he cranks in even more of a crab angle...Isn't this how it's done in a B-52 btw (crab and the gear are then aligned to track parallel w/the rwy centerline)? :-O"Wing into the wind to stop drift and opposite rudder to point the nose down the runway"... I guess what's good for us little guys is good for the Heavy's too :-)Rob O.