Sign in to follow this  
Guest thx1137

Go Arround!!!!!!!!!!!! Dangerous A320 landing

someone probably confused knots, mph, and kph in a news report.That day Schiphol had winds gusting up to 75 knots, or 150 kph, or 100 mph.Most of the day though winds were 35-50 knots.Hamburg probably had similar weather, and being located where it is could well have had worse gusts.

My guess Bill it was this "Superman" attitude that sometimes afflicts us during our flight career (probably some other "factors" here too).You're warned about it happening, you swear to yourself you'll remain humble, and yet you find yourself in a predicament that exceeds your ability or the ability of the aircraft; and it becomes one of those "Never Again" experiences... that is, if you live to fly another day.Situations like this one... I'm just glad I wasn't the one being filmed.Rob O.

Guest thx1137

Unbelievable.Under what conditions would they consider their alternate!? I have read before that a survey of ATPs was done where they admitted regularly continuing an approach in weather that is supposed to require a trip to an alternate airport but these guys take the cake. Imagine, they are being congratulated!I am glad the tickets I booked yesterday aren't with them!Steven.

>Unbelievable.>>Under what conditions would they consider their alternate!? >>I have read before that a survey of ATPs was done where they>admitted regularly continuing an approach in weather that is>supposed to require a trip to an alternate airport but these>guys take the cake. Imagine, they are being congratulated!>>I am glad the tickets I booked yesterday aren't with them!>>Steven.>>>What alternate? All had the same conditions.

Guest CRJ700FO

it turns out an inexperienced, female FO attempted to land the airplane. gotta love those ab-initio programs!

>it turns out an inexperienced, female FO attempted to land>the airplane. gotta love those ab-initio programs!I thought it was FO 101 that if your bank angles get too much on approach, you go around...?? Maybe the approach was within limits, until they got into the flare. ??RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

>150 Mph? hahaha, that's a tornado or a cat 5 hurricane. I>don't think so, and no offense by the way.Why would I take offense at simply repeating what the news channels reported (FOX, CNN, ABC, CBS, NBC, et el)? Further, those were wind GUSTS up to 150 mph, not sustained winds. Check the METAR for Hamburg that day for further details... ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

>Agree also.>Had a 100% similar landing in a 172 with less than 100 hours>in kBax>-learned my lesson real quick...>http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/1b5baf...b9f427f694g.jpg>>My blog:>http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/Understood Geof. Reminds me of a hot turbulant day with 90 degree cw from the right at 18 g 23 with my instructor in a 150.Made the landing, slight reduction of yoke pressure and up comes the right wing...no strike, made the recovery but will never forget the feeling of helplessness as we ran along on left wheel for a bit:-)

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

Guest CRJ700FO

>>150 Mph? hahaha, that's a tornado or a cat 5 hurricane. I>>don't think so, and no offense by the way.>>Why would I take offense at simply repeating what the news>channels reported (FOX, CNN, ABC, CBS, NBC, et el)? Further,>those were wind GUSTS up to 150 mph, not sustained winds. >Check the METAR for Hamburg that day for further details...>;)the max gust for the entire day at the airport was 55kts, about 63mph. and that wasn't the x-wind but from a 60deg angle to the runway.

Guest thx1137

Really!? I just read that some other planes diverted.Steven.