Sign in to follow this  
Guest Airprox

Help with prop/rotor texture...

Guest Airprox

Hi Chaps,I'm using GMAX 1.2 with the new FS2004 makeMDL. I exported my model to check something when I noticed this...seethrough.jpgAs you can see, when you look through the rotor texture the main model becomes see through. It never used to do this... and ideas?CheersAlun

Guest flightmike1

This is to do with the order in which FS draws the parts, because it doesn't know the prop will be transparent, any part drawn after it will not be rendered behind it to try and improve performance. The only way I've ever tried to get around it is save the transparent parts in a seperate gmax file and when you export just merge the two files together and that will mean the propeller was added last and therefore will be drawn last. I think there is a better way to do it using these maybe? I've heard of the zbias having something to do with the drawing order but haven't actually investigated it, maybe someone cn tell you how to solve this problem properly.From the MakeMDL SDK:Material NamesThe material names listed in the following table have special meaning. ...ZBIAS_ A default z-bias is added to the polygons.ZBIAS_## A z-bias of ## is added to the polygons.

Guest flightmike1

Check this threadhttp://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...=3615&mode=fullSpecifically this posted by firestriker"Zbias is handled via your MATERIAL name. Zbias_01 has priority over standard materials. Zbias_02 has priority over Zbias_01 and so on. The part name can be anything. For your own information you can have more than one Zbias_01 by making it something like Zbias_01_xxxx."

Guest Airprox

Thanks for the replys,If I read this right, I'd name all the materials I use on the heli Zbias_01, then name the rotor material Zbias_02 so that FS will draw it last. I'll have a play and see how I get on.Out of interest, I loaded up the FS2002 MakeMDl and everything is fine... so if all else fails, I'll just have to export using that.Thanks again,AlunP.S. I'm using a 32bit (8bit alpha) extended bitmap for the texture... I've tried it with DXT1 but the effect was ever worse. Might try DXT3 just for the heck of it.

Guest Airprox

Back again,Just to let you know that I seem to have solved the problem. I couldn't think of any easy way to test the Zbias option as I haven't got materials applied to the rest of the heli yet... but what I did do was take a look at the Curtis Jenny source file and found that the prop material had a 75% opacity applied to it. Not to be outdone by MS, I applied a 70% opacity to my rotor material and Viola! It works!Thanks for trying anyway!Alun

>Thanks for the replys,>>If I read this right, I'd name all the materials I use on the>heli Zbias_01, then name the rotor material Zbias_02 so that>FS will draw it last. I'll have a play and see how I get on.No, you would only have to specifically use 'zbias_0x_' as a prefix on the part or parts you want to have higher priority... :)But, setting the opacity works just as well, as you've discovered!

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest Airprox

Thanks Bill,I'll bear that in mind should I need to use it!CheersAlun