Sign in to follow this  
n4gix

fx_vclight effect appearing in different location depen...

Guest Greg_G

I'm modifying an aircraft which was originally a FS2002 aircraft that I imported into gmax w/ FS2004 gamepak. I'm finished with my modifications and everything is working perfectly except for the vc lighting. While I am successfully using the light mapping (_L) to illuminate the gauges, I'd also like to make use of fx_vclight.fx to illuminate the other surfaces in the VC and I dont want to use light mapping for those surfaces.Unfortunately, the illumination from that effect is in two different locations when I switch between spot and VC views. With much experimentation, in spot view the VC light illuminates the cockpit at:light.0= 4, 15.00, 0.00, 1.20, fx_vclight, but in VC view it illuminates the cockpit at approximately:light.0= 4, 4.25, 0.00, 3.00, fx_vclightI can't just use both effects (using light.0 and light.1) because if the effect coordinates are correct for VC view (which is more important) then, in spot view, it illuminates a section of the fuselage behind the cockpit and looks bad.The CoG (0,0) is the same for both views since both the interior and exterior groups actually overlap and are to the exact same scale. I can't figure out what might cause this offset! I'm rather new to gmax and aircraft modelling.I'd appreciate any help y'all can provide.Thank you,Greg

Guest Milton

Greg,The only thing that I know can cause this is if the Pivot/Coordinate for both the exterior and interior groups are not set to the same location.Yes, I understand you have the aircraft setting at 0,0,0 for both models, but the group coordinates must be set as well using the Hierarchy/Affect Pivot Only and the Move/Modify tool. Just type the coordinates in at the bottom and I think your issue will be resolved.See here:xy.JPG

Guest Greg_G

Dear Milton,You hit the nail on the head. I checked and indeed the interior pivot point was off. I suspect the original model had it this way because the eyepoint in the aircraft.cfg was aligned with the erroneous interior pivot point. It's working perfectly now. Thank you for your insight.Cheers,Greg

Guest Milton

Ahh that's great Greg. Happy to be of some help. :-)

Hi Milton!I'm glad that I've developed the habit of reading the entire thread befor replying, 'cause I was just fixing to say the same thing... :)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator