Sign in to follow this  
Guest zip

Token or param for nose wheel steering

Guest zip

Anybody know which rudder or yaw variable (token, FSUIPC or XML) controls the nose wheel steering? I realize this may be model dependent but which param is normally used to set nose wheel?This is for ground steering gauge. I have the planes steering correctly but the nose wheel isn't moving.Thanks for any tips.

Guest Firestriker

If I am understanding you correctly, your nose wheel has no steering animation? If this is indeed the case, you probably have not put a node in the center gears hierarchy to make this happen. There are a couple of different ways to do this, depending on wheather or not you want the yoke to control the animation OR just have the wheel "caster" based on the aircrafts direction of movement. I am assuming you are using gWax and know how to make animations.In the first case, you need a node named rudder_XXX in something like this hiearchy:c_wheelwell c_gear_cylinder rudder_02 c_gear_piston c_gear_axle c_tire_left c_tire_rightThis method it the simplest and you just need to have your rudder_02 parts axis rotated around the X axis (use a side view) so the indicator (green arrow) points to the rear of the plane. No keyframes required as this is a "built in stock" animation and the amount of turn is defined in the aircraft.cfg file under the center gears contact point information.The second method requires keyframes for the animation, applied to a part named c_wheel in a hierarchy something like this:c_wheelwell c_gear_cylinder c_wheel c_gear_piston c_gear_axle c_tire_left c_tire_rightThe keyframes are made using the topview in the 101 to 200 range. Start the animation with the first rotation keyframe at 101 and the part in it's base position. Go to keyframe 150 and rotate the part clockwise 180 degrees around the verticle axis. Go to keyframe 200 and rotate the part another 180 degrees clockwise again around the verticle axis.Hope this helps,Lou

Guest zip

Thanks for your comprehensive answer, good info. I was wondering what internal variable is normally tied to the amount of steering animated?

Guest Firestriker

I can't give you a definate answer but it would be my guess that, based on the information in the MDL_Format_SDK, that the "rudder_XXX" animation uses the "Rudder Deflection PCT" variable and the "c_wheel" animation uses the "Gear Center Steer Angle PCT" variable. I would suggest you have a look at this SDK as well as the Panels_SDK and MakeMDK_SDK and draw your own conclusions.Lou

Guest zip

Roger, will investigate. Thanks for your help.