Sign in to follow this  
Guest BigGiraffe

Removing Virtual Cockpits

Guest cfryan

Hi AllI am not a great fan of Virtual Cockpits, so I am wanting to remove them from several aircraft models...can anybody tell me how to go about doing this or even whether or not it is possible?RegardsClive

Guest cfryan

Hi DiegoThank you very much for posting that information...it is exactly what I was looking for and I am sure many other simmers.RegardsClive

Guest harvey crosby

Count me out! Why do you want to remove the virtual panels - best thing since sliced bread, when done properly. If I had my way I'd ban 2d panels with 14 overlapping popping-up bits and pieces. What a nightmare! Far better to have one cockpit you can move around in and click, surely? Trouble is, few people seem to know how to make them properly. (I'm provoking a debate here, I hope ;-)

"Trouble is, few people seem to know how to make them properly"I'm new into VC design... Can you post links to some of your aircraft with VC's so I can look at how they are properly made :)

Guest cfryan

>Count me out! Why do you want to remove the virtual panels ->best thing since sliced bread, when done properly. If I had>my way I'd ban 2d panels with 14 overlapping popping-up bits>and pieces. What a nightmare! Far better to have one cockpit>you can move around in and click, surely? Trouble is, few>people seem to know how to make them properly. (I'm provoking>a debate here, I hope ;-)OK Harvey, I'll bite :-)I find that the vast majority of VCs are extremely ugly looking affairs and I have been searching for a way to remove them from all my models...I prefer a nice clean, realistic photo real 2D panel anyday.One aircraft .mdl that I have modified is the default FS9 DC3, man the VC on that really sucks. Thanks to to this forum I have now removed the VC and have installed the beautiful 2D RD4-6 panel of Roy Chaffin & Bill Rambow...pure magic and have ended up with the ultimate DC3I guess that beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, but I reckon that you have to be looking at any VC through "Rose Tinted Glasses" to see any beauty in them.CheersClive

Guest harvey crosby

Wouldn't know where to start, JohnCi: I have *just* tweaked my first 2d panel - resizing some gauges, moving the odd switch, etc. This is on an aircraft whose VC panel is a complete mess, so I want to learn how to do that next. So ask me again in a few years' time and meanwhile any tips gratefully received! By "properly" I meant from the end-user's point of view (literally). It's amazing even in 2d panels how some otherwise highly regarded panel producers can't even get the perspective right - so that, for example, you are looking from the lefthand seat at a row of switches which were obviously photographed or drawn from the right. The effect is brain hurting. By the way, I'm right with you on the importance of photo realism, Clive. Having discovered Dreamfleet's work some time back I won't even look at drawn stuff. But I reckon when the VC is good, it's the best way to fly, because it's the nearest we can get to being "in" the cockpit - all IMHO, of course! And that's why I wouldn't want any of the incredibly talented panel people out there to think "we simmers" don't think VCs are worth having.

Guest BigGiraffe

And I also thank you all for pointing us to this good information! My biggest reason for removing the Virtual Cockpit is because you can't see enough outside of the "airplane" -- we can't turn out heads for a better view like you can in real life.Oh, and even I was able to use the hex editor first try!Best regards,Kurt