Sign in to follow this  
Guest Tom Goodrick

Bank Limit

Guest skywarrior

Hi Guys. Can someone tell me how to limit the bank angle to 15 degrees in the default Cessna 172? This is for a friend of mine whose little boy keeps getting into coffin corner & crashing. I downloaded several air editors, but do not understand them.Thanks,Jim

Guest Tom Goodrick

I do not think you can do it. And I am very glad. Is it really asking too much to just show the kid the horizon and show him, by demonstration, how to bank just enough and not too much?To build in a limit to the bank angle, we would be forcing a reduced reality on this sim. Good Grief! If Microsoft sees this thread they might include such a limit in FS10! That is a step in the wrong direction. Of course, there already is a limit built into the autopilot of 25 degrees. This could be changed if needed. But it is probably harder to show a kid how to fly using the autopilot than just to keep the wings level and limit how much you tilt the horizon.Besides, I suspect the kid could probably fly very nicely if he wanted too. But, it is more fun to crash and get a rise out of Dear Old Dad!

Why not show the kid how to fly a steep turn in a light aircraft! That will take you to 60deg. That's enough bank for a Cessna surely!!vololiberistaPS As I understand it "Coffin Corner" refers to the very limited a/c manouverability at ceiling altitude. Ref: the U2 spy plane which I believe had just 5knts AIS to play with at max alt.

PS As I understand it "Coffin Corner" refers to the very limited a/c manouverability at ceiling altitude. Ref: the U2 spy plane which I believe had just 5knts AIS to play with at max alt.
Yeah, that's what I think. It's around the point where VS and VMO/MMO converge... You'll most likely never get any close to that in a C172 LOL Big%20Grin.gifFurthermore, you can't "limit" the bank (or any other) angle on a C172. You control the ailerons using the yoke, which in turn yields a certain bank angle. So as others have stated, if you're not able to control your ailerons (or the plane in general), you've gotta learn it. :( Maybe show your friend how the controls work and how the plane will react to certain control inputs. Then he'll easily be able to master a constant bank angle turn, no matter if 15 or 60°...

Has no one but me noticed that this is a "necroed thread" that was last visited in 2004? :(

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Has no one but me noticed that this is a "necroed thread" that was last visited in 2004? :(
Hopefully some flying lessons have been learnt since then!!!!!!!!!vololiberista

I almost never notice these things. Then again I ask myself why people dig out these old ones at all. LOL Big%20Grin.gif

The funny thing is you can easily do this in the AIR file.. lol..