Sign in to follow this  
Guest Karl R Pettersen

Forcing use of main fuel tanks

FSDS2.4 - fs9 - XMLIs there a method of selecting just the 'main' tanks when there are 'aux' tanks present in the model?I have made an XML gauge to select each of the aux, main and centre tanks individually and using the 'enum' unit value. Is there a workaround?Regards Ted

Hi,You could use the SET event.An example, 2 fuel selectors:If the amount of fuel in the center tank is less than 1.5% the fuel is always taken from the left and right main tanks.(A:FUEL TANK CENTER LEVEL,percent) 1.5 < if{ 2 (>K:FUEL_SELECTOR_SET) 3 (>K:FUEL_SELECTOR_2_SET) }You can vary that indefinitely.Hope it helps,Jan"Beatus Ille Procul Negotiis"

Jan Sorry for the delay replying.I have Aux,Main and Centre tanks on a twin engined aircraft. I am trying to select just the individual tanks, using the *_SET command, but to no avail.I have tried designating the main tanks as Center1 & 2 but that just gives me more problems so I have just learned to live with it. The real aircraft had to use the Aux tanks first anyway as they were the only ones not self sealing.Thanks for the reply Ted

Hi,Ceterum censeo...Still you can use in your twin 2 fuel selectors.In the aircraft.cfg you have to add under the fuel section:number_of_tank_selectors=2Then ,using the fuel selector set command, see SDK!, you can feed any engine from any tank you want.Jan"Beatus Ille Procul Negotiis"

Jan I had the aircraft.cfg file entry as you suggest but the main tank is not recognised as a seperate item in the SET group of variables.Here is the XML code fragment:Aux then Main tanks%2 (>K:FUEL_SELECTOR_SET) 3 (>K:FUEL_SELECTOR_2_SET)-----------------Extract from the FS2004 SDK:-Event ID... String Name... DescriptionKEY_FUEL_SELECTOR_2_LEFT... FUEL_SELECTOR_2_LEFT... Turns selector 2 to LEFT position (burns from tip then aux then main)-----and--Fuel selector codes:FUEL_TANK_SELECTOR_LEFT = 2FUEL_TANK_SELECTOR_RIGHT = 3 { NB. There is no entry code for 'MAIN' in the list, only LEFT or RIGHT } Regards Ted

Ted,You are right.Did you test the fuel selectors to see which tank was drained?I had the same problems as you and i am using since only left-, right main and center tank with 2 selectors.This system makes it possible to feed each engine from one tank at the time and all other possibility's.It can be useful to make some strings to see which tank is "on",The amount of fuel in that tank etc.,accelerate the program to 16* and see which tank level falls as a control.I use:%((A:FUEL TANK SELECTOR 2,ENUM))%{case}%{:0}%CUT OFF%{:1}%ALL%{:2}%L MAIN%{:3}%R MAIN%{:4}%LEFT AUX%{:5}%RIGHT AUX%{:6}%CENTER%{:7}%CENTER2%{:9}%EXTERNAL1%{:10}%EXTERNAL2%{:14}%X FEED LR%{:15}%X FEED RL%{end}assuming 2 is left- and 3 is the right main tank.Another way is to search here in the forum for fuel tank, system, selector etc.There is a thread about renaming the tanks.And a lot of other info.Hope it helps,Jan"Beatus Ille Procul Negotiis"

As Jan said there is a thread...http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=122&topic_id=12276&mesg_id=12276&listing_type=search This one was a lengthy discussion on fuel tanks, I also uploaded some of the files I had uploaded in that discussion.. Hope it helps.Regards,Romanhttp://home.new.rr.com/spokes2112/images/Image2.gifhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/79458.zip

20AUG21_Avsim_Sig.png?dl=1  FS RTWR   SHRS F-111   JoinFS   Little Navmap 

Gentlemen - Thank you all for your help.I have not solved the problem but ended up designating the main tanks as tip tanks, deleting all tanks from the *.air file and re-naming those in the aircraft.cfg. There are no tip tanks on the aircraft to confuse matters. Then I just put a hint in the tooltiptext mouseover to remind anyone that when looking in the fuel management panel of fs9, tip = main.Regards Ted

Guest Karl R Pettersen

Sounds like my old problem. In my Cessna C421B, a twin with two fuel selectors, I was forced to delete the main tanks. I had a config of two aux, two tips, and one/two (depending on AirCond config) external tanks.That way I was able to run dry any selected tank, and crossfeeding worked also.