Sign in to follow this  
Guest Firestriker

Gmax - Middleman - Export Options Problems

Guest Fly1

Been a while since I posted, but thought I would run this one up the flagpole again. I tried a search of the forum but did not see any relative discussions.Problem: Welded points in "Interior Model" after export. I am using Gmax and Middleman v1.03 to export. Options have "Weld Points" and "Optimize" unselected.I find after export of a exterior/interior model, and viewed in FS, the exterior model is perfect, but the interior version of the same object has had vertices in close proximity welded. A sample picture is attached of a water pump I am working on. Particular area's of note are circled in yellow. It appears when converting the exterior model the "User" options are recognized, but not so when processing the "Interior" model.Has anyone dealt with this before? Is there a way around this, so as to have the same accuracy on the interior?Any comments would be greatly appreciated!!Bob C.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/80273.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/80274.jpg

Guest Firestriker

Bob,You haven't stated which version of FS you're building for. Assuming you are using the FS2004-Gmax pamepack, I would leave MdlCommander and Middleman out of the pipe. Having said that, you will have to be sure your hierarchy is setup correctly. Look at the Curtiss_Jenny.gmax file to see how it is done then adapt it to your design. There are several nodes which have no geometry that are very important as they control certain aspects of display.Lou

Guest Fly1

Thanks for your feedback. I was using the Middleman setup for FS2002 and copying over to FS9. After upgrading to the FS9 version SDK I find I will now need to deal with the scaling, texture, axis, etc. problems due to the differences in the new release. One step forward, 10 steps back. If possible please advise if there are any "New" tutorials available based on using the new SDK. I am working on a race version of the Lancair Legacy and would hate to have to rework the whole project just to make minor revisions.Thanks again!!Bob C.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/80830.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/80831.jpg

Guest Firestriker

Bob,If you were using the old version of makemdl.exe that came with FS2002Pro then you should have had your System Unit Scale set to 1 unit = 1.0 inches. All versions of makemdl.exe released after the original use a System Unit Scale setting of 1 unit = 1.0 meters. If you change your System Unit Scale under Customize > Preferences > General tab, and check the Automatic Unit Conversion box just below it and you open a scene that was made with the old scale, Max display a dialog box stating the differences and asks you if you want to Rescale the scene to the current settings OR adopt the files scale.... in which case you would select "Rescale the File Objects to the System Unit Scale. It has been a while since I have needed to do this, but as I recall, everything works properly and is in the right scale doing it this way.Lou

Guest Fly1

Hey Lou,I've been playing with that scenario. After loading the file and selecting to convert, when exporting I get an error per attached pic.Original units were inches in preferences and units setup. If model is loaded and exported using new makemdl without conversion it exports fine, but is the size of the Titanic in FS.Still playing with it and reading prior post's on the forum. Just that ol learning curve deal when using something new.Thanks for the help!!Bob C. http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/80887.jpg

Guest Fly1

Well, after researching a bit, and experimenting with different configurations, I find, as others have stated before, that the new makemdl does work with Middleman and MC. By using this combination I can export an int/ext file and receive no export error, and scaling is fine (so far on the test waterpump - we'll see how animations have been affected later). If I try to use just the new makemdl without middleman I get the above error. I have reviewed the jenny example and found that it WILL export without an error using only the new middleman (interesting), but I have found if an individual item is selected and an "export selected object" is tried, I get the above error. Hmmmmmmmm ... (CFM)Now, back to the original issue; using the new technique of dummy nodes for internal and external models, and linking relative items to each, when exported to FS2004 I find the same problem as with the previous version. The internal model is welding points and distorting details on small items.Oh well, onward through the fog ...Bob C.

If try to export any single object without selecting the exterior node as well, I will get an export failure, otherwise I can export just fine.Since you now have both MM and MC in the export path, try exporting only the exterior parts and select the "autointerior" option to see if the 'welding' still occurs.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest Fly1

Yes Bill, I had tried this earlier. The welding occurs here as well.Have you noticed this occuring on any of your projects? I pressume it would be noticed on anything having vertices spaced 4 millimeters or closer per the SDK.Appreciate the input!!Bob C.

No, I haven't had that problem, but then again I don't typically model such tiny parts in such a great amount of detail! :)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator