Sign in to follow this  
Guest Alexander_EFG

Drowing - Grasping At Straws!!!!

Guest The_Sarge

First off, if this isn't the correct forum, please excuse my intrusion. A desperate man often makes simple mistakes.That said, here's the problem: I'm not an aircraft designer; I am familiar with GMAX and FSDS2 to the point that I can do non-aircraft macros. I learned what I DO know because I am trying to recreate an old Strategic Air Command base, Loring AFB Maine (USA). The project is about 85% complete, but I've run into a show stopper.One can't have an F-111 base without some kind of F-111 there. I've found three F-111 aircraft in the sim world, all three for FS2002 and I'm doing this for FS2004. The two ALPHA's (F-111A and EF-111 RAVEN) produce the "incompatible" message; "yes" to disable equals level on the ramp, no gear, and "no" to disable equals all gear available and extended, aircraft standing on its nose on the ramp. The third (by Tom Hutson, whose email addy no longer works) is also FS2002; "no" equals level on the gound, gear operational, no nose cone over the radar.I'm desperately in need of ANY F-111 variation that will work in FS2004, even if it's only AI. I have the FSDS2 .fsc files for an F-111 project that was abandoned by the original designer and tossed up for grabs. I'm even willing to reimburse (modestly, I'm retired USAF enlisted) if someone would be willing to either convert one of those three (above) to a working FS2004 AI, or work the FSDS2 project to at least a working AI model.(To the moderator: if this is off-topic for this forum, please move it to the proper forum, or advise me and I'll re-enter it in the correct one.)The Sarge"Not on my watch; not on my tour!"

Guest Firestriker

Sarge,Do you want to use these F-111s as AI aircraft or static models? I think you will find that the ALPHA models were probably made for FS2000 with FSDS1 or AD2000 and just have updated *.air and *.cfg files which will give you the non-compatible error in FS2004 but work fine in FS2002 and there is not much you can do about that. I have found that most all aircraft designed with gWax for FS2002 or CFS2 do function properly but might have part display problems in FS2004 if the models hierarchy was not setup properly. I have the old C-47 for CSF2 running in both FS2002 and FS2004 and it seems to function properly.I'll have a look and see what I can come up with.Lou

Guest The_Sarge

That's exactly what I want them for -- AI aircraft. Something on the ramp that is indicative of the purpose of the base. Eventually, I'd like to find .api macros of F-111's, but that can wait until I learn how to design aircraft.Lou, I appreciate anything you may be able to do. Like I said, a -111 base without -111's is a "no-go" project. And it's nearly completed.

Guest Firestriker

Sarge,I checked out the models you had refered to and found that they are even older than FS2000. Infact the original I think goes back to FSFW maybe even FS5.1 so it is no wonder they were not compatible. We lost that with FS2002. Anyway, the old model could be easily converted to be used as a static model for just littering the field by converting to a dxf and then import it into gWax and cleaning it up and texturing it and exporting to a FS9 Scenery Mdl. But if you want to build a flyable model or one to be used as AI, I would suggest using the FSDS1 fsc that you have and converting it to a dxf to import into gWax then finish it up... it is incomplete... no landing gear... but is a more recent style of model... cleaner shapes. If you don't have FSDS1, let me know and I'll get you the file converted to a gWax format for you to work on.Lou

Guest The_Sarge

>Sarge,>I checked out the models you had refered to and found that>they are even older than FS2000. In fact the original I think>goes back to FSFW maybe even FS5.1Cripes!!!! No wonder they didn't work! :( >flyable model or one to be used as AI, I would suggest using>the FSDS1 fsc that you have and converting it to a dxf to>import into gWax then finish it up...The .fsc is FSDS2, and I've got FSDS2. Unfortunately, you lost me at the "converting it to a dxf" point. I'm familiar enough with FSDS2 to make non-aircraft macros; haven't had the time to pursue the skill beyond that. I took up the gauntlet of finishing MS's job putting Loring International where MS claimed it was, then creating Loring AFB next door to it, and I've been learning what I needed to learn as I go (AFCAD2 first, then FSSC, then FSDS2 when I couldn't find a lot of military macros, then EditVoicePack for military callsigns, then dxtbmp to convert needed textures that FSSC doesn't recognize, then TTools ....Since there aren't any compatible models, I guess it's going to have to be completing the FSDS2 model, at least as far as necessary to produce an AI F-111. Now for the next (obvious) question -- with my limited knowledge of FSDS2, how long do you estimate it would take me to be able to learn enough to complete that model? Bear in mind, this ol' dog has been lyin' under the porch a lot more years than some folks' PARENTS have been around. :-) Or, do you know of a modeler that would be willing to take on the project on my behalf? Like I said, modest compensation would not be out of the question for me ...Thanks for all the leg work you've done on this. Even if that's all you're able to provide, at least my knowledge curve just took a BIG turn upwards.

> gWaxI'm not sure why, but that deliberate mispelling rankles me even more than "M$" does... :)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest Alexander_EFG

Sarge,Send the the FSC of the 111 you found. I'll see if I can come up with a poly friendly AI model. Mail addy in my sig.Cheers,