Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

FSDS 2 Spoiler Animations

I've added spoilers to my upcoming Eclipse release(Latest pics here: http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...id=147160&page= )My question is in regards to animations. I want to accomplish 3 things:~Have them extend to 45 degrees in the air~Have then extend to 75 degrees on the ground~Have the animation smooth...I've only accomplished item one--the spoilers extend to 45 degrees, but that is their limit in the air and on the ground.The bigger problem is that they extend instantly--there is no gradual extension. The next problem is that I can't get them to extend fully on the ground.I am using keyframe animation to get it set up... Obviously I'm doing something right--but I'm not accomplishing everything I want.Note--the Eclpse doesn't use wing spoilers--it uses tail mount ones instead similar to the BAE-146...Any ideas?Thanks,John

Guest Valid_Andy

Hmmm, sorry John but I don't think its possible. Although I'm not too familiar with FSDS2, the animation is basically the same as gMax. It could be done in gMax because of the XML animations there could be limits set to the animation, but there wouldn't be any differences in the flight dynamics like that anyway. Sorry, but I think you might have to wait until FSDS2 is XML supported (I don't know when of IF this is happening, just a guess)

I know it's possible--Jon Murchison has done it with his BAE-146--his tail spoiler deploys in flight, and his wing spoilers only on the ground--and the animation is very smooth. I was thinking about dropping him an email--he may be able to spell out the procedure he used....-John

The spoiler's popping out is a setting in the air file. Using Air Ed open the air file, then look for section 1101 primary aerodynamics. scroll down and look for the spoiler extend time line. The default setting is sometimes set to 0.0000. Set it to 1.5 or so and you will get spoilers that animate properly.As for the different angles for deployment, you might try making 2 sets, one for in the air and another one for on the ground with a display condition.Brian

Thanks Brian--I'll try your suggestion vs. revising the .air file and the second set of animations...-John

Hione way is to animate the spoilers to 75 deg then knock up a hidden XML gauge that prevents them form opening more than 45 deg in the airya could use(I'm not much on xml so this prob wont work,maybe one of the guru's could work out the syntax ) (A:SIM ON GROUND) if{ 1 (K:AXIS_SPOILER_SET,deg) 75 } els{ (K:AXIS_SPOILER_SET,deg) 45} The other way is to make two copy's of the spoilers one animated to 45deg and one animated to 75deg then preprocess them for on the ground of the ground,here is a snip from a message by Dave EckertIn Part Properties: Click the 'Add' button at the bottom, then click the 'Condition' button. You can give it any name you want. For variable ID, use the 'browse' button and select 'ground' from the scenery section, or just type 'ground' into the field. If you type it in, be sure to clear the 'aircraft variable' checkbox. This lets FSDS know that it has to add some code to make it visible in an MDL. For operation, picked 'And' if you want to check for on the ground, or NotAnd if you want to check for not on the ground. Put a value of 1 in 'value 1'. Value 2 can be left blank as it's ignored for the 'And'/'NotAnd' conditionHope this helpsMaV

>Thanks Brian--I'll try your suggestion vs. revising the .air>file and the second set of animations...John, as an alternative to the second set of preprocessed parts, you could possibly use a dummy object (simply a small axle rod or cube) that is properly named and animated, and link them together in a parent-child relationship.There's always more than one way to skin a cat! :)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

In the end, I ended up copying the part and pre-processing it with the ground variable, although I used "Inrange" vs. AND/NOT AND & display the ground animation if ground=1, and the air animation if ground=0. I offset the in air animation slightly, since it takes less time for the spoiler to open to 45 degrees vs. 70 degrees.I really don't know for certain if this is even true to the Eclipse's spoiler animation. There's some video of the spoilers working in flight, but it is quite "grainy" and I can't see them clearly deployed on the ground.I haven't decided for certain if I'll even include the spoilers in the final version of the aircraft. Eclipse has made so many changes in the spec, that I'd hate to split the fuse apart only to find they've added wing mount vs. tail mount spoilers. But at least I know whatever I do, it will work.-John

I'm afraid I will probably dump the idea of adding spoilers or a door for now, and release the aircraft as it appears in the screenshot.One thing about FSDS that really bugs me is once you split a part such as a spoiler, it really ruins the continuity of the dynamic shine and reflections of the aircraft. I now have this beautiful shine that extends the length of the fuse--then "stops" as soon as the reflection touches the spoiler. The spoiler has it's own shine, but it's as if it's independent from the rest of the aircraft.It just doesn't look right, in my opinion. You can rejoin such parts and "snap to scale", but then--no spoilers.I know the issue is one of smoothing--FSDS only smooths from poly to poly if they share points in common, so the smoothing automatically stops and restarts when a new part is "reached". I've used this to eliminate the "shadow" effect without having to resort to assigning smoothing groups for underwing polys, since you can split a poly, then remerge it and extra points will be there. By prudent use of "snap to scale" one can create a beautiful smooth surface from the trailing edge of the wing, to the leading edge, and back 'round again without the dreaded "shadow". But I don't want to do anything to this aircraft which detracts from the beautiful lines designed in Dave's original...-John

>I know the issue is one of smoothing--FSDS only smooths from>poly to poly if they share points in common, so the smoothing>automatically stops and restarts when a new part is "reached".John, Bobby Hayes encountered this same issue with the Citation X model, which is especially noticable on the nose cargo doors. What he did to mitigate the problem somewhat was to have the "opening doors" as a separate part, and the "closed doors" attached to the fuselage so that there's no smoothing issue at that time.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Thanks for the suggestion--that's exactly what I attempted last week. I made a "no spoiler fuse" which was displayed with the spoilers retracted, then another which displayed when they were deployed.Problem I see is the instant the spoilers deploy, the height of shadowing on the fuse changes, so it makes it look as if the fuse has had a finger pressed against it for a moment.I've taken a break from it for now, working on other pieces of the aircraft. It probably looks worse to me than it would to someone else, you know how parents can be :)Since the spoilers are only a spot view item, I may post an interim release, then an updated model, along with a door I've already cut but haven't yet merged with the original fuse.Everything else on the aircraft is ready for release, and I'm really itching to get it out there before FS2006 comes along.-John